gas furnace system

I recently began renting a home that uses a gas furnace to heat it. I've never used gas heat before and had some questions about filtering the air. If I understand correctly the furnace has a filter that may need cleaning or replacing that is directly attached to the furnace. My question is should I also filter the cold-air return that is on the first floor of my home? Also near the air-return is another large grate that to me seems to serve no purpose, (ie, no air seems to move through in either direction) could I cover that large, ugly grate with a rug?

Reply to
kyle.hebert

You only want one filter in an air-stream. That large grate is probably so that air can move from one area to another.

Reply to
Bob

how old is house? big old grate might be leftover of former heating system.

best ask your landlord this question.....

Reply to
hallerb

how old is house? big old grate might be leftover of former heating system.

best ask your landlord this question.....

Reply to
hallerb

how old is house? big old grate might be leftover of former heating system.

best ask your landlord this question.....

Reply to
hallerb

I'ts interesting, but one can't tell from the original post if he is the landlord or the renter.

mm

//best ask your landlord this question..... //

My landlord seems to know absolutely nothing about the house. The house is a duplex and she said that there is a filter in the floor on the other side f the house, but isn't sure where the filter on our side would go.

//how old is house? big old grate might be leftover of former heating system. //

IMHO the larger great is a remnant from an older system.We no have ducts running to registers in each room upstairs and down. And no air seems to flow through the gate when the heating system is running. If this is the case (the landlord doesn't know, see above) I should be able to cover the large grate, correct?

//It's interesting, but one can't tell from the original post if he is the landlord or the renter.//

I am the renter, by the way.

Reply to
kyle.hebert

Filtering is done on the low pressure side, before the fan. Filtering before and after will only reduce the air supply and cause problems.

If no one knows then call a pro and have the unit checked out. Ask the pro your questions while he is there. You will know that the unit is safe and your questions will be answered.

Reply to
SQLit