Gas furnace starts with a boom!

Perhaps, but if they didn't even clean a dirty orifice which turned out to be the problem, I'd raise holy heck about having paid a service call. Granted, they should have (and I don't recollect from the thread whether they were or not or whether that inof was provided) been given the opportunity to make it right, but as noted if the initial call was as described, he probably got a kid right out of trade school who just didn't know what he was doing...

If the rudimentary things aren't done first, there's no point in looking for more complex problems...in this case, the problem was a dirty/partially plugged pilot orifice...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I haven't read all the posts, so If I'm out of line here please forgive me, I erased all the posts off my computer prior to today's.

The last statement may be rash. You can't ask the previous companies to refund your money unless they deliberately ripped you off or didn't know what was wrong. Think about it for a moment. A service man/woman comes out and does their best to solve your problems but just can't do it because this is something that is out of the norm. Should he/she not be paid for their time? You can only ask that someone does their best. You took time from their life, and they proved what WASN'T the problem. Sometimes there are no clear directives in a repair, its a trial and error situation. If the customer doesn't like the odds of service then buy a new furnace which makes your odds 100% winner.

A good example is you going to a doctor. You expect him to try to find out what is wrong with you and perform every test possible and you don't intend to pay them UNLESS you get cured?

There are times when I give customers a break, but before I change an expensive part I ask them first and warn them that it may not be the problem. Intermediate problems can really be troublesome.

Like I said, I'm not privy to the entire thread so this post may appear to sound off the wall to the actual topic.

Now, a delayed ignition IS one of the hardest problems to solve for any technician! You can do all the tests and then have living or atmospheric conditions change as soon as you leave the site. If the draft is correct, the gas pressure is good, then it most likely is the ignition system, burner wear, transfer bar to light the other burners are plugged or rusted and need replacement, or the exchanger itself has changed somehow with a coating etc that causes the air not to scrub. A spider web in the orifices can create these problems along with a small amount of dust in the burners. Like I said, this is one of the hardest things to fix. I remember working on a Trane furnace that we put in. We did everything to it and then Trane came out with a burner replacement a year later that solved the problem. BUT TRANE NEVER TOLD US or admitted that there was a problem!! How many tech's out there got THEIR reputation harmed because of the factory?

Rich

Rich

Reply to
geoman

Just Repaired mine. and was this: A misaligned pilot.

Reply to
Jim

d boom, it seems the main burner doesn't always catch light from the pilot so some gas builds up then there's a boom. The furnace is regularly service d and the service people have been told of the problem, they always dismant le the burner and reassemble it but the problem remains. Aside from this th e furnace works fine.Any suggestions?Thanks,Peter

Peter should certainly contact the service company that did the non-working repairs and let them know that he had the problem fixed by another repair company and what the problem was. That way, the first company can offer to provide a refund. But more importantly, it gives the company a chance to educate its repair person(s) so that they don't repeat the misrepair to som eone else's furnace, with perhaps more serious consequences that just loud booms.

Reply to
hrhofmann

time, starts with a loud boom, it seems the main burner doesn't always catch light from the pilot so some gas builds up then there's a boom. The furnace is regularly serviced and the service people have been told of the problem, they always dismantle the burner and reassemble it but the problem remains. Aside from this the furnace works fine.Any suggestions?

Thanks,Peter

that did the non-working repairs and let them know that he had the problem fixed by another repair company and what the problem was. That way, the first company can offer to provide a refund. But more importantly, it gives the company a chance to educate its repair person(s) so that they don't repeat the misrepair to someone else's furnace, with perhaps more serious consequences that just loud booms.

You think he's done anything since Jan 2005? Or maybe the house exploded?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to TURTLE, Sandy wrote: Will it cause a fire in the home

Reply to
Sandy

Sandy posted for all of us...

Turtle crawled into his shell about 20 years ago and never came out...

Reply to
Tekkie®