Gas furnace starts with a boom!

Page 1 of 2
It seems the pilot in our gas furnace doesn't reliably ignite the main burner. The upshot is that sometimes, say 1 in 4, the furnace will start with a real boom. The furnace is regularly serviced and works fine apart from the starting issue, I explain the problem to the tech's and they take the burner out, look at it but don't seem to fix it. Any suggestions.
Thanks,
Peter
We have a gas furnace that intermittently, 20% of time, starts with a loud boom, it seems the main burner doesn't always catch light from the pilot so some gas builds up then there's a boom. The furnace is regularly serviced and the service people have been told of the problem, they always dismantle the burner and reassemble it but the problem remains. Aside from this the furnace works fine.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Peter

Have any of them cleaned the pilot light oriface? My furnace did the same thing this fall. There was nothing obviously wrong and after the 2nd or 3rd 'hard start' I was about to call a pro when I decided the pilot flame looked a bit anemic. I cleaned a little crud out of the pilot burner, after which the flame looked healthier, and no more booms.
Roger Grady snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.qlfit.net To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address
On Tuesday, January 18, 2005 7:37:09 PM UTC-6, Peter Wells wrote:

d boom, it seems the main burner doesn't always catch light from the pilot so some gas builds up then there's a boom. The furnace is regularly service d and the service people have been told of the problem, they always dismant le the burner and reassemble it but the problem remains. Aside from this th e furnace works fine.Any suggestions?Thanks,Peter
Peter should certainly contact the service company that did the non-working repairs and let them know that he had the problem fixed by another repair company and what the problem was. That way, the first company can offer to provide a refund. But more importantly, it gives the company a chance to educate its repair person(s) so that they don't repeat the misrepair to som eone else's furnace, with perhaps more serious consequences that just loud booms.
On 10/17/2013 1:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

time, starts with a loud boom, it seems the main burner doesn't always catch light from the pilot so some gas builds up then there's a boom. The furnace is regularly serviced and the service people have been told of the problem, they always dismantle the burner and reassemble it but the problem remains. Aside from this the furnace works fine.Any suggestions?
Thanks,Peter

that did the non-working repairs and let them know that he had the problem fixed by another repair company and what the problem was. That way, the first company can offer to provide a refund. But more importantly, it gives the company a chance to educate its repair person(s) so that they don't repeat the misrepair to someone else's furnace, with perhaps more serious consequences that just loud booms.

You think he's done anything since Jan 2005? Or maybe the house exploded?

Call a differant sevice company! Other than that, more information posted here may help. Brand, model of furnace, LP, natural gas? Greg
Appears to be the heat exchanger sending warning signs of failure...next is asphyxiation!!!

This is Turtle.
No Spam , Booming furnaces does not say bad heat exchanger. A Boomer say bad ignition problem.
TURTLE

As Greg said, try a different service tech.
You are getting a build up of gas before the pilot ignites the main flame, and there are several possible causes.
I assume you have a standing (always-on) pilot? If not, you may have a problem with your flame safety.
In any case, the tech should look for clogged burner holes in the area of the pilot, misadjusted pilot, mispositioned pilot, and excessive draft. In addition to cleaning the burner and orifices, they should remove and clean the pilot assembly, since a partially clogged pilot can reduce the pilot flame size enough to also cause this.
But get it fixed, those little explosions are hard on the furnace.
HTH,
Paul
replying to Paul Franklin, Jim wrote:

Just Repaired mine. and was this: A misaligned pilot.

This is Turtle.
Well Peter , You have 1 of 4 things wrong with it and a good service company will or should be able to fix this in just a few minutes. Here is the list.
1] You have a dirty burner ignitor bar , the burners theirself , that run the flame to the other burners from the pilot lite. So burners just dirty inside them.
2] The Pilot Lite if not high enough or aimed in wrong direction.
3] The burners are not straight in the furnce holes as to the gas jet in the center of the air fuel intake if the burners or the Ignitor bars are tilted not in line.
4] The gas pressure is set too high and the last burner has time to put out too much gas before the burner ignitor bar flames have time to get to that burner.
Any good tech i have every known could stop a booming of a furnace everytime. SO you need to get another service company that has good tech that know how to tune a furnace up to not Boom. Booming furnaces are a very easy thing to fix if you know what your doing. If you don't know what your doing they are a very hard thing to fix.
TURTLE

Just let it go a while longer. You wont have to worry about you, your family, your home or your lives. Pretty clever way to not pay for proper service. Regularly serviced by who? Bubba

if you have nothing useful to say, at least have something funny to say...
randy
Bubba wrote:

Yeah, sounds like YOU tried to fix it!
Pop

I guess someone squeezed Pop's head and thats all that came out? Nice comeback Pop. Get in line. You're next to blow me. Bubba
Peter Wells wrote:

My furnace did that after I cleaned it. Boom sometimes blew the furnace door off. Got my attention immediately!
A metal channel that collected a bit of gas from each burner and led it to the pilot was installed wrong (reversed end for end). If your problem began after somebody was into it, you might have a similar problem.
In any case, it needs fixen'.
Roby
Thanks to those who replied constructively, I spoke to a couple of service companies and found one who seemed to agree with the suggestions given here. They came out last night, took the burner apart, cleaned everything (there was a lot of what looked like chips of rust in it) and now it starts without the boom.
Peter

Peter Wells wrote:

And the lesson to be learned here is...you could have done this and should do such an inspection and cleaning every fall <before> you relight it for the season. If you find something you don't understand or something doesn't "look" right, then you can call the service folk...
Duane...
Please read the original post, the system HAS been regularly serviced and other tech's (reputable companies) have come out specifically to address this problem, the reality is that try as you might it is difficult without knowledge to assess the abilities of those who do this kind of work. Gaining some knowledge before calling a service tech, for which I am grateful to those who gave constructive comments, helps me vet the tech's before they come - that to my mind is the lesson learned.
Peter

service
here.
(there
without
Peter Wells wrote:

Chill, Peter... :) I followed the whole thread. I only put in the $0.02 at the end because the solution was simple and especially now that you know you can do the check first each fall. If you then have a question/concern, you can then call the tech knowing you at least took care of the really obvious.
If it came out (or you interpreted it) as being critical, I didn't intend that way, simply that such rust and dirt is an inevitable occurrence w/ any gas furnace from combustion products and condensation and the burner and pilot orifices should be checked each fall prior to lighting and the general crud cleaned out. That any service tech wouldn't do that w/ the information it wasn't lighting reliably is a real indictment of them.