Gas Furnace Quits Working

Over the past couple of weeks our gas furnace will stop working. It usually stops in the middle of the night and we wake up to find the temperature in the house 7 to 10 degrees below the set temperature on the electronic thermostat.

The furnace does not kick on if you increase the temperature settng on the thermostat. However, it does come on, usually, if I turn the thermostat setting from "Heat" to "off" for a few minutes, then back to "Heat". I have not tried restart the furnace by turning off the main power switch to the furnace.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and how much it might cost to get it repaired?

thanks, Jim Myers

Reply to
Jim Myers

I had this happen a few years back when I didn't know anything about this stuff... the repair man came out and cleaned the flame sensor with a small wire brush... I've since then had the same problem, with the same fix only this time I fixed it myself.

I've heard of several other people with the exact same problem, and this is the usual fix.

give this a shot before calling in the pros

Joe

Reply to
Joe Zimmerman

Please post in alt.hvac, not here.

Reply to
Sam O'Nella

Yea I know what the problem is, Simple, ITS Broke, Call a pro, or Post at alt.hvac, bunch of Nice guys that will fix ya fine and get you all heated up in minutes.

Reply to
m Ransley

It might cost between $100 and $3000 and its probably the dirt or the furnace is bad and needs a new one wrapped around it. I hope this helps. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It could be a cranky thermostat. It might be a bad relay. It might be a worn out HSI. Could be a bad flame rectification sensor. Might be a bad circuit board. Could be a bad fan limit switch. Could be an intermittent gas valve. Might be a loose wire rubbing on a ground.

I'd be tempted to call a heating guy and get the thing overhauled. Intermittent furnaces are like tooth aches, they don't get better on their own.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon