Gas Furnace Question

How does a "vent safety switch" work?

I'm trouble-shooting a friend's gas furnace (Empire Comfort Systems Model #GW-25-6). I have isolated the problem to what the instruction booklet calls a "manual reset vent safety switch." It says this safety device will switch off the gas flow if "the ventilation is not proper" or similar wording. I'm trying to figure out if the switch is defective, or if there is a ventilation problem. I'm satisfied that the pilot and burner mechanism work properly, and that the thermostat works properly. Nevertheless, the furnace shuts off unexpectedly, but will restart promptly if the vent safety switch is reset, meaning a button on it is pushed.

What variable does the switch sense in order to determine if the ventilation is proper?

My first thought is that it is temperature, and that if the temperature of the air around it is above some threshold the switch cuts off the electric current that is keeping the gas valve open.

My second hypothesis is that the switch senses air flow (how would it do that?) and if the speed of air passing the switch is below some threshold the switch cuts off the electric current that is keeping the gas valve open.

Enlightenment, explanations, elaborations, etc. appreciated.

Reply to
CWLee

Hi, First is the switch keeps tripping if reset? Is the filter CLEAN?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nothing to do with the filter. I assume this is a pressure vented furnace (has a burner fan). If so, any restriction in the "stack" will cause a pressure build-up which will trip the pressure operated safety switch. DO NOT RUN THE FURNACE if there is an exhaust restriction.

Reply to
clare

And this furnace has a pilot?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No filter.

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

wrote

No fan.

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

Yes.

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

Is this a wall furnace? Would the model number start with "GWT" instead of "GW"? If it is what I think it is and the vent safety switch is not defective, the vent cap on the roof could be messed up. Of course it would help to know if it's a gravity vented wall furnace.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Dunno. But an air pressure sensor is not too difficult of a device - sometimes it's just a vane attached to a switch. It's not too hard to get it clogged or jammed either.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, how do exhaust combustion gases leave the property? If the exhaust is partially jammed then I can see that giving the behavior you're getting - the switch will trip because with the furnace running gases don't clear the exhaust fast enough, but as soon as the furnace is off (because the switch trips) the gases "slowly" leave the exhaust and pressing the reset lets it run again.

I'd check the exhaust first, make sure it's clear of any obstruction (dirt, leaves, ice, dead critters, bug nests etc.) and only worry about whether the switch is defective after you've ruled the exhaust out.

*don'* bypass the safety switch, obviously :-) If you want to rule out the switch, buy a replacement and do it that way...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

OK - no "pressure vent" means it is a stack temperature situation. Call a furnace repair service and be prepared to replace the furnace - you could very well have a cracked heat exchanger

Reply to
clare

I think you just got my favorite post of the day award :-)

Reply to
Jules

TROLL!!!

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

I suspect that the above d*****ad is *not* Bob, but is trying to get folks to harrass him. He just started trolling in here a short time ago- has nothing to offer but wisecracks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Cheerfully, and with smiles. Be sure to mention you think it's a bad thermostat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm a "pro d*****ad". Give me your GPS and I can slap a few knots on your head, faster than you could rub 'em off.

I spent 25 years dealing with turdheads like you. All mouth!

Is Drexal a school of hard knocks?

Reply to
Oren

My fame isn't virtual, it's real.

Bob Morein (215) 646-4894

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

Let's assume the doctor means "Get a pro, d*****ad!"

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

I don't think the thermostat is bad. I think it is a thermostatic vent safety switch that is bad, a different device.

Does that make sense to you?

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

It sounds to me like someone at tha hvac group got bored and decided to go be a jerk somewhere else.

Reply to
Bob F