Gas Furnace. Fan

Hi:
Just turned on the heat, but no heat is coming out although the furnace is burning away. house temp is 50-55 and the thermostat is set at 65. I have alwyas had the fan on the furnace on auto instead of manual, so I hear the blower coming on in a cycle. Auto fan does not seem to be functioning this time. Is there a reason why I couldn't just keep the fan on manual and on all the time? Manual fan works.
Also, where do I put the filter in the gas furnace. Been looking around the furnace, and I cant find a slot/place where a filter would go. There are 2 filters lying next to the furnace, but I don't know where they are supposed to go.
Thanks
Get competent help.
Doe John wrote:

There are usually two built in thermostats inside the furnance (not to be adjusted yourself). Once controls when the fan turns on/off depending on the HI/LO setpoints are. Designed to make sure the furnace has heat before blasting air out the vents, and to still provide some of the heat that the furnace still has when the flame shuts off. The HI limit is usually around 150 and the low limit 60 ? The other stat is the HI limit to shut off the gas if the furnace gets too hot, possibly due to the fan not coming on at all.
Sometimes these stats can go bad.
If not experienced, get professional help to check the furnace out.

This is Turtle.
If it is the older models it your Fan / Limit Control. Get a hvac man to check it out for sure and replace it and not try to adjust it JUST ONE MORE TIME.
Do find the filter and replace it.
TURTLE

Trace your inlet from your furnace to your living quarters. That is where the filter(s) go.
There is a device in the plenum called a fan-limit switch. It, when set to auto,prevents the blower from coming on until the air around it is hot, then it shuts the fan off when the air around it cools down. The idea is to not blow cold air in the heating season. If you're comfortable,you can use it on manual. If the front of the furnace has an upper and a lower cover, try looking behind the upper cover for the filter location