Gas furnace electrical plug, What size breaker?

I am planning on installing central heat and air in my home. I was doing some research and noticed gas furnaces need a 120v outlet. Can I just tap this outlet into an existing circuit on a 15 amp breaker? Of course I know it depends on the furnace, but is there a standard on the amperage?

Reply to
Aaron

Usually it is a required code for a furnace or boiler to be on their own circuit with some kind of emergency shut off switch closeby like at the top of basement stairs. But for the record, a gas furnace with the blower motor usually does not pull more than 3-4 amps, depending on the size of the unit.

Reply to
Mikepier

I don't think mine is unusual, and it takes about 5 1/4 amps.

Reply to
CJT

I stand corrected. I was looking at the specs for my Trane XR80 furnace.According to the specs, at full load it uses 10.2 amps. This includes the combustion motor (FLA rated at 1 amp), the hot surface ignitor ( 2 amps), and the blower, gas valve, and other circuitry. The blower is 1/3 HP, but I could not find the current rating on it, and I do not have an amprobe to measure the current, but I'm guessing just the blower running it uses about 6 amps.

Reply to
Mikepier

This is Turtle.

the Amp draw you will have on any given furnace would be very much different. a small 2 ton 65K BTU heat would take about 5 amps. . Then you take 5 ton cooling and 125K BTU heat with electronic filter, 3/4 horse Power Blower Motor, and humidifier would take about 12 amps.

1] Gas furnaces should have a single circuit to it for amp ability to the furnace. i like to have a #12 -2 with groud and a 20 amp breaker for the larger units and the 12-2 with ground with a 15 amp breaker for the small units.

2] All gas furnaces should have it's own circuit ! You can rob a circuit but it is your call. now it might come to this one day. You plug in your computor and when the gas furnaces comes on it throws the breaker. Then you can start running another circuit then when it is knee deep in snow.

TURTLE

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The min breaker rating will be listed on the units tag.

Reply to
CBHVAC