gas furnace

Hello. I am renting a house in Idaho and the gas furnace is loud when it goes on. It is not an explosion, it seems more like some sort of resonance similar to an old motorcycle that goes on for a few minutes before the hot air starts blowing. I have never heard a gas furnace this loud. The landlords have vacuumed it and it hasn't helped. Any suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks.

You could tell the landlords that you don't feel safe and ask them to have it professionally inspected. Offer to split the cost with them ($45 - $75 in western NY) or if you have kids, use them as an excuse. "I'm not trying to be pushy, I'm just looking out for my family."
If they refuse, play the "I'll call the local housing authority" card. You might piss 'em off, but if you're really concerned that it's not safe, and they are not willing to have it inspected on the chance that it will fail, then you don't want them as landlords anyway.
It would not hurt to have it inspected, but I believe you will find out that it is normal for that type of high efficiency technology.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

High eff do sound like a jet when they get ready to fire up

My house (before I got nat gas) had a 70s oil burner...and it fired-up in the middle-of-the-night, what the H!!!

Sometimes the small blower motors start to go belly-up and make a lot of noise on the high eff. models.
Noisy is a relative concept. If you read info on furnaces - you'll find that some are quite noisy. My old furnace is MUCH quieter than some new high efficiency units belonging to my neighbors. Doubt that the landlord picked that model, just to annoy you and others.
If you insist on inspection, offer to pay for it, especially if the furnace if found OK. If the furnace if found defective, the landlord should pay for the whole thing.
RichK

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:41:08 -0800 (PST), edwin_g

You didn't describe the nature of the noise. If it is the motor sounding if it takes a bang first then runs like it is shaking some metal sheets loose then its the squirrel cage blower bearing that is probably ovalled. The motor axle flops around the ovalled holes. There is a metallic bang on starting up and on the motor stopping.