Gas Furnace?

What does it realy involve when a Tech comes to house & pulls Winterize on Gas Furnace? I just got charged $86.00 for a vacuum job and dusting inside and he checked my CO and it read OO leak but, told me the flames shouldn't be jumping around like they were when lit. Could mean heat exchanger is going bad.I saw a few orange lines in the tubes but no breaks and no CO.Am I being ripped off because I'm a woman???? :-( ????

Reply to
DUMBFOUNDED

How do you know if you are being ripped off by Furnace Tech.?? Just ben told my flames had orange cause of Heat Exchange getting bad, there are some visible orange seams starting.My furance is a Heil just put in June of 1995. Could the heat exchanger really be going bad so soon. He said, the flames were dancing around too much.(Our air supply is vented from the outside..) Thanks for any & all in-put.. I am a woman could he be takening me for aride, so to say??

Reply to
DUMBFOUNDED

It was not "just put in". It was put in 11+ years ago.

Well that depends. How much is he charging you?

Reply to
Mikepier

Probably. I would replace the air filter first though, should be replaced at least once/year. Are all the jets lit on the burner?

avid_hiker

Call someone with a good reputation to inspect your system. Ask your neighbors if you do not know of one. DO NOT tell them another tech diagnosed the bad heat exchanger. A flame dancing while burning COULD be a cracked heat exchanger, but the cost is high to replace it. Modern heat techs have optical devices they can insert into the heat exchanger to inspect for a cracked heat exchanger.

Most furnace makers warranty the heat exchanger for 5 years because they normally last even longer.

And yes, some HVAC people will take the last dollar from a person on Social Security without blinking an eye. Sorry to say.

Reply to
Ken

Lemme see ... 11 yr-old Heil ...

You don't happen to be living on the North Pole, do ya? Not Santy Claus wife?? :-)

You called the wrong tech. He shoulda been able to do at least a visual inspection of the HE (using little mirrors).

If he failed to properly clean the burners etc, that could cause some degree of orange flame.

If you wanna be certain re HE, I guess you need a reliable conny-tractor. Ask neighbors and/or check BBB. Then request inspection (giving no add'l info).

Luck, Puddin'

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Reply to
Puddin' Man

My previous Heil gas furnace was replaced after 21 years with no heat exchanger issues of any type of its' life time. I replaced it mostly because I spend time away during the winter and did not want to think about furnace issues. The furnace was running like brand new when it was removed and only required a couple repairs in 21 years. Needless to say I bought another Heil.

I seriously doubt you have a bad heat exchanger but anything is possible,

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

I think the tips of the flames _should_ flicker orange.

Reply to
CJT

Getting a tech to your house these days to use the bathroom costs about that, so you have gotten a normal service. Clean and inspect the burners, inspect the heat exchanger, check the furnace to see if it's operating in spec'd temp rise, CO levels, and all that happy horse pucky are the usuals for this important service.

I'm not sure what you mean by "checked my CO and it read OO leak" but I'll assume he found no CO.

It's true that flames should be blue, however, you are right to be very suspicious of anyone telling you you need a new furnace who works for a furnace company. If your furnace is under 10 years old, and they can't show you a crack in teh heat exchanger, or can't demonstrate something more compelling, I'd buy CO detectors for your sleeping areas and soldier on.

If your furnace is older than 10 years, you might consider what a higher efficiency furnace might do for you depending on where you live.

Having another person inspect your furnace might be worthwhile, but I'm not entirely sure how you get hhold of one who might not try to sell you a new furnace somehow.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Thank You for your timely in-put...Greatly appreciated!

Dumbfounded

Reply to
DUMBFOUNDED

Orange flames are caused by an improper air/fuel mixture. Make him show you the crack in the heat exchanger or tell him to take a walk.

- All the free heating and air answers you want!

Reply to
Al Moran

Furnace tune up consists of:

  1. Check heat exchanger for cracks
  2. Check carbon monoxide level
  3. Clean flame sensor
  4. Lube/oil motors
  5. Check all safety switches for proper operation
  6. Check all control voltages
  7. Check volt and amp draws on all motors.
8 . Check for loose, cracked, damaged wiring
  1. Insure blower is on correct speed tap
  2. Calibrate thermostat.
  3. Inspect duct work
  4. Clean/change filters
  5. Check temperature rise
  6. Check static pressure
  7. Check gas pressure in and out of gas valve
  8. Inspect main blower for cleanliness
  9. Vacuum, clean out furnace
  10. Clean burners

- All the free heating and air answers you want!

Reply to
Al Moran

What do you consider acceptable ranges for these parameters?

Reply to
CJT

The temperature rise is different from furnace to furnace, it will be posted on the data plate of the furnace. The static pressure should never exceed .5 inches of water column. The gas pressure for natural gas should never exceed 3.5 inches of water column on the manifold side for natural gas and 11 inches of water column for propane, also on the manifold side. These values are also posted on the furnace data plate.