Gas Fireplaces

I have a large (35"W 23"D) open hearth style wood burning fireplace built into a full brick wall in my den. I would like to put a Propane unit in with ceramic logs and a remote control I do not want an insert, as we really like the "open" firepit "feel". Sitting in front of hot glass doors doesn't thrill me. They sell non-vented and vented types.

vented is: slightly cheaper(nominally) have to open the flue every time (wife not happy) flame looks more realistic not econominal (heat goes up chimney)

non-vented: econominal and just a flick of the remote is needed (wife very happy)

Does anyone have any experience with these units? suggestions? is there some sort of electric flue opener? AAUUGGHHH!

B.W.

Reply to
XMFARD

I would say go with the ventless if for no other reason than to keep your wife happy. They will kind of soot up your house if it is really tight so you will probably want to open a damper just a bit even with ventless. For occasional use they are just fine.

We had an ice storm last winter that knocked out the electric for several days. Temperatures stayed well below freezing the entire time the lights were out. Everybody I know who had ventless logs were quite pleased with how they actually provided warmth. My vented logs were worthless but looked nice.

Jim

Reply to
Jeepnstein