I have a gas fireplace that doesn't have a wall switch. It only has the
remote control on/off switch. The pilot light is always on, but when I
click the remote, the fireplace doesn't start. I've removed the grill
at the bottom and see that the red light on the remote box does blink
and making a clicking sound when I click the remote.
I've had someone tell me to check the wiring, but I don't know what to
check it with or how to check it. I'm sure I could fix it myself, if I
just knew where to start. Any help you can provide is greatly
May sound too simple, but have you checked the batteries in the remote?
Sometimes it will make the light flicker but there isn't enough "oomph" to
kick it in.
It's a cheap way to try something else.....
Is this a natural or propane gas fireplace? If it is propane you may have
air blockage in the fuel line from when the propane tank was filled last.
Also check for spider webs at orifice. If it has been unused for a while one
may have set up house. Be sure your fuel line valve is open.
In my gas fireplace, the remote control sensor in the fireplace is operated
from a battery (9v). That battery does eventually discharge and need
replacement. In my case, the sensor battery is in an imitation pine cone
and is accessible from the bottom of the pine cone. (Maybe you've already
considered that, ref your comment about the "remote box.")
Try changing the battery in the sensor, if you haven't already.
I have a fireplace that won't start as well. (the Pilot won't light.)
It was running fine until last year when my 7 year old pulled out the
remote sensor (in order to use the manual shut-off) however as he
pulled it out, the fireplace shut-off and would'nt start again.
I thought the battery leads (from the 9V Cell) might have touched the
grill and shorted, but I don't know.
Anyway winter is coming again and my wife want's it fixed!
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:03:15 GMT, firstname.lastname@example.org (SHUDSON) wrote:
=================Normal problem....spyder webs, dust etc have a way of causing this...
Honestly I just cleaned the thing out ...and it fired right up...BUT
to avoid this problem about 5-6 years ago I just resorted to leaving
the pilot on all the time....all year round...
Yes my gas consumption has gone up...maybe it costs me 10 bucks extra
every year ...but at least I know it will fire up on that first chilly
night in the fall (which it did btw)...
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.