I bougtht a Jotul gas fireplace (used, uhhhh) and have run into a
problem trying to get it running properly. It'll fire up just fine but
after about 20 minutes it abruptly turns itself off. What I mean is,
the pilot lite remains lit but the fire itself turns off. And then a
while later, it'll go back on again, and so forth. Any ideas about
what might be causing this? A bad thermopile?
I've removed the remote control and tightened all the connections
and that hasn't helped.
I've hooked a multimeter up to it and get about 460 millivolts with
just the pilot light, just shy i think of the 500 mv that i understand
is considered ideal. with the flame on, it starts out at around 230 mv
and over time drops down to about 180 mv and then comes up again and
goes down again and maybe for a while even hovers in the 230 mv area.
does this suggest anything?
nope, it doesn't have a thermostat. i've googled quite a bit on the
problem and haven't really seen it come up. most people have problems
with the pilot lite, not with the flame itself. my pilot lite works
fine or at least is continuously on. the flame is the problem.
Most of them are called 'high limit' switches, but I guess it could be
called anything. A lot of them look like shiny little round discs and have
two wires connected to them. It would normally have to be in a place that
senses heat. Can you follow the wires?
Does it have interlock switch on the front glass panel? This interlock
switch prevents gas fire if the panel is removed for cleaning, etc. My
basement FP did that and the interlock switch was intermittent caused by
heat. It'd open up by heat and thinking panel is removed, the fire will
Another suspect could be high temp limit switch(sensor) acting up.
We thought we had a ghost when our new fireplace did this. Two
technicians were stumped. The third guy figured it out right away:
the wiring was too weak and it was turning the fireplace off because it
believed it was too hot. He replace the wire that goes from the handy
on/off switch down into the bowels of the fireplace with a really thick
one, and it has worked fine ever since. (I forget what brand it was but
it wasn't yours.)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.