Gas Fireplace

Just moved into a home with a gas fireplace. I noticed that when it was installed the ran the gas line across the flame. It loops around the end of the burner unit so when lit the line is right over the flame. This seems odd to me. Should this be of concern or is it ok for the line to be so hot?
This doesn't sound right to me. I would re-plumb it and play it safe.

Sounds like a possible code violation. Call up local code authority for advice. Seamus J. Wilson