Gas Fireplace

I moved into a house that has a switch operated glass-enclosed gas fireplace that uses a real chimney (i.e. does not vent out the side of the house). The last gas fireplace I owned had a flue (it was not glass enclosed, you had to light it with a match), but I can't seem to find the lever for this one. There are metal vents above and below the glass enclosure that open down, but I don't see anything in there that resembles a flue lever. Is it possible this one just doesn't have one?

The reason I ask is because when it gets cold enough outside the area around the fireplace becomes very drafty if the fire is not lit.

Thanks!

Dan

Reply to
lagman

Gas fireplaces are forbidden, by most building codes, from having flue dampers.

Is this a direct vent system? If it is, and you're feeling drafts, check to make sure the glass front is securely sealed, and that its gasket is intact.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

if it's completely glass sealed in the front, the flue has a damper in it that opens when the rising hot air pushes it up. that damper may be stuck open. however, if it's sealed, where are the drafts coming from?

the vents above and below are so that when the firebox heats, natural convection will pull air from the bottom which exits out the top heated. that air path should not be opened to the outside anywhere.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

If I put my hand above the glass enclosure I don't feel any cold air, but if I put it below the enclosure I can feel the cold air. I see a solid aluminum pipe going straight out the top of the fireplace and a flexible hose running to the bottom of the fireplace.

Reply to
lagman

My gas fireplace vents to the side, no flue. I don't ever light it, so I stuffed insulation under the cover. No more drafts. Occasionally, I have to stop birds from building nests near the outlet pipe.

Reply to
Phisherman

Perhaps replace the gas fireplace with an electric logs one that will fit the space. This doesn't require a vent and you can put in seals to plug up air leaks. I think a suitable electric log one should run from $400 to $800. That's a under $1000 for a permanent and good looking solution.

Reply to
PaPaPeng