gas fire place

My husband and I just bought a 5 yr old home. The gas fire place is gorgeous and huge, but won't stay lit. I can light the pilot and then turn the knob to "ON" and the fire is wonderful. It stays lit about 5 minutes and then it is like the gas just shuts off. Am I doing something wrong? The pilot knob it turned to 'ON' after it is lit and the bottom knob is on AUX if I am not using the remote/ON if I am using the remote. We didn't get a manual and can't seem to find the manufacturer to go online and look it up. It is quite frustrating....but nice when it is lit! :0) I thought about calling someone but who would I call???

Reply to
minnew

local fireplace shop.

most likely a bad thermocouple, they are easy to change:)

Reply to
hallerb

first install a carbon monoxide alarm. now we can play. light the pilot only and see if the flame properly envelops the thermocouple device. [sorry it's in the gas valve manual, check it with two mirrors for model number.] the fireplaces are cousins of water heaters. this may be something also a plumber could look at but may not use his parts. there are many variations among the manufacturers regarding variable gas flames and whether the device has a decorative or heating input/ output of its gas. the safety pilot of a gas valve is sometimes trying to tell you something important. so turn the supply gas valve off when you leave the room until repair is complete.

Reply to
buffalobill

Natural gas or propane?

Gas company in some areas has a service department. Propane dealers usually do also.

Who is the manufacturer?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Either a fireplace sales place, or a heating and AC company. It's a heating appliance, after all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon