gas fire not working on "high"

My gas fire (an old one) is acting up. It works fine on "low" for hours at a time, however whenever I turn it up, the flames stay at the same level as "low" and after about 15-30 seconds, the fire turns itself off completely. Anyone any ideas?
cheers, -ciaron
Ciaron Nixon wrote:

When trying on its high setting...turn it off fully then ignite it on the first two inner bricks then push the igniter down again keeping it held down and turn it to the full setting?
If not then turn off the gas and reomove the bricks and clean with a brush and some puff :-) and get the hoover on the burner where the bricks sit.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite