Gas fire and wood burning

I have bought a house as well. It has got a small gas pipe terminating under the the firegrate. Do you think this is for lighting the wood until it catches fire? Do I have to shut the gas off? Are there any safety rgulations?
Thanks .
Stefan

could be, call a pro and find out we could only GUESS at the function from your description
If you plan on using a wood fire, you MUST disconnect any gas from the fireplace. You should remove the whole line. If the piping is already there, buy a gas appliance to heat with.

stefan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

My guess is it is a log lighter. Of course you should consider that I am only guessing and I have never seen it. I suggest you get a good chimney cleaner - fireplace professional out to check the whole thing out before you consider lighting any kind of fire in there.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
yea...its most likely a log lighter...it will be an iron pipe with a series of holes in it....there should be a valve mounted around the hearth somewhere...not in the actual firebox. I would get the gas company or a reliable heating service out there to look it over and make sure its safe.