Gas engine or electric motor for bicycles

Anyone have any experience with these. I did many internet searches on the subject, but what I'm looking for is personal experience, i.e. electric vs. gas, 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle, etc.. The new area where I will move next year will make it impossible to ride a bike. So, I'd like one of these things to help me up the hills. Thanks, Art
Art Todesco wrote:

Keep practicing bike riding and the hills will become easier and easier. Do you know how to shift a 15 speed or higher?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:52:00 -0400, Blattus Slafaly wrote:

Some older folks with medical problems find riding a bike very good cardiovascular exercise but if the hills where this poster is moving are a problem a motor may be the only short term method to overcome that. The OP may have just left this information out intentionally.
That is how I read the post. I wouldn't try steep hills anymore either just because of the above reason.
Sorry, I would have to make that decision based on the size of the hills or go for a stationary bike.
Art Todesco wrote:

Hi Art, When I was a kid we used to have "motor bikes" that went under the name of Whizzer. The gas motor was mounted between the handle bar and the seat. You got it going by peddling fast and then tightening the belt and the motor would start (if you were lucky). I haven't seen one in years. I think it ran on straight gas. I don't recall mixing oil to it. Western Auto may have sold them. Hope you find one... Chuck
Chuck wrote:

Art... Do a Goggle on Whizzer motor bikes and you will have all the info you need. They are still being made and sold. Good luck. I may even get me one. Chuck
www.harleydavidson.com .... I'd go with the gas model.

yes,SLA batteries only last so long,and they are expensive to replace. Pretty heavy,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Gas conversion motors are sold, my friend put a 2 stroke on a bike for maybe 350$, electric are 1000-near 2000.00 for a complete bike and a NiMh pack. It depends on how many miles you need to go and your pocketbook. Electric is nice but I bet 3 years is pack life and maybe 2-300 to replace.