Gas Dryer Poor Performance

Page 2 of 2

For what it's worth:
My gas dryer (Maytag Neptune) did essentially the same thing that yours did, at about the same time (early march). The gas would light up, but for only a few (<5) seconds, and therefore the dryer never got hot.
I looked at this thread and figured out that I should replace the coils. I did. That did not work.
I found out that the Maytag (and possibly many other gas dryers) have a flame sensor, that mounts near the ignitor, on the shield, and it can go bad. I changed that as well.
Seems to work OK now.
Thanks for your collective help.
Pierre

I'm hoping the coils arrive in tomorrow's mail, but my wife just used the dryer and asked me "what did you do to make the dryer start working?" Needless to say, I'm totally confused now because the observable behavior (with no clothes inside) didn't seem to have changed. But she's really happy with the load she ran tonight.
I'm still going to replace the coils, as I paid for 'em and it surely can't hurt. But I'm still trying to make sense of all this.
Art
For those who remember this thread, I had decided that, since the coils measured fine with a VOM, that they must be right and I ordered the two thermostats. Subsequently, it was suggested that, measurements or not, the coils were still the most likely culprit.
I just spent three hours replacing the thermostats. Ended up with two brass-colored snap-in "buttons" that clearly cover holes somewhere inside - I'll have to check a parts blowup to see where they go.
The behavior, as feared, hasn't changed. At least I was able to vaccum out a vast amount of lint that wasn't accessible until the drum was removed.
The coils are now on order.
What a waste of part of a vacation day.
Art