For those who remember this thread, I had decided that, since the coils
measured fine with a VOM, that they must be right and I ordered the two
thermostats. Subsequently, it was suggested that, measurements or not, the
coils were still the most likely culprit.
I just spent three hours replacing the thermostats. Ended up with two
brass-colored snap-in "buttons" that clearly cover holes somewhere inside -
I'll have to check a parts blowup to see where they go.
The behavior, as feared, hasn't changed. At least I was able to vaccum out a
vast amount of lint that wasn't accessible until the drum was removed.
The coils are now on order.
What a waste of part of a vacation day.