Gas dryer- heats one cycle

Before I run out to replace this 15[?]yr old Magic Chef, I thought I'd ask for a second opinion.

I took it apart yesterday because it wasn't heating. I checked the limit switch & thermostat & both had continuity. Put things back together & it seemed to work fine. I had a small load of clothes that dried.

So I put in a full load & went away. When that was still wet after a couple hours I went back to the drawing board.

With the dryer apart I fired it up this morning & watched the gas ignite fine, run for a couple minutes, then cycle off like it was supposed to. But when the dryer called for more heat I could hear the click and see the igniter light-- but there was no gas. It would try to light for 5-10 seconds, then shut off for a minute-- then try to light again.

I rechecked the thermostat & limit switch & they both still had continuity.

Then I noticed the igniter sensor that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the schematic. That tested open when tested with my ohm meter.

When cool, it tested closed & the dryer ran a single cycle again before shutting the gas off. [The igniter still lights & tries to light the gas.]

This is the part-

I'm guessing that this $30 part might be the culprit, but it looks like it operates on light, not heat, so I'm hesitant to spend $30 for nothing. [My limit for this beast today is $100]

But then I checked the coils while cold & hot. When cold I got continuity between terminal 1 & both of the other terminals on the 3 terminal coil. The 2 terminal coil had continuity between the 2.

When hot, I only get continuity between terminals 1 & 3 on the 3 terminal coil. [and between the 2 terminals on the other] No continuity between terminals 1&2 on the 3 terminal coil.

It is a Magic Chef YG20FN1 .

My instincts say get the coils-- but I'd hate to get them. . . then the flame/igniter sensor. . . then a new dryer. [The gas valve alone, if that is the culprit, would send me off in search of a new dryer.] Does the above test sound like a faulty coil?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

Just as a follow up-- I saw the coils online for as little as $14, [I had seen them for $35] so I decided to go to my local store & try them.

They were $26 there- so in the interest of expediency & home peace I picked up a set.

So far so good. It ran through the initial cycle & fired up a second time, so I'm going to put it back together & load it with clothes.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Hi,

Good catch on the coil heating up and quiting!!

Least expensive place that I found on-line for the coil kit 12001349 we through A1Appliance....

used there part# look up with the # posted above.

Glad to hear you got the dryer repaired :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff