gas dryer drum not turning...

I have an OLD.. maybe 20 year old Kenmore dryer.. Tonight, the drum stopped turning. Everything else is working- controls, gas, etc.
Does anyone know what the price range will be to get this thing running again? I just set up an appointment for a service call from Sears.
Would the price to get this old clunker back on track be just the same as buying a new one? $500 will be my limit.. I just want to get 1-2 more years out of this thing before getting a new washer and dryer-- I want to put it off as I am planning to get new kitchen appliances in a few months.. thanks.
Chris wrote:

Check the drive belt.
If money is a concern, cancell the Shears call, and get someone local to you. Shears is Exshpensive.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Why Sears? Do you have too much money?
Call a local appliance repair shop. Chances are it is a belt or the motor. Belt is probably $30 plus a service call of $100 or so. Motor can be much more.
The last place I'd call for any service is Sears. They have a poor reputation for cost.

Most likely, the drive belt broke.

Cancel it. If you have even basic mechanical abilities, it's an easy fix in most cases. Replacing a drive belt isn't likely to require any tools beyond a screwdriver; the hardest part is going to be figuring out how to get the case off of the dryer, and there are online resources that can help with that.
One tip: when replacing the belt, you'll need something to hold up the front of the drum while you thread the belt through the tensioner assembly. Try a quart paint can -- should be just the right size.

Not if the problem is a broken drive belt. Replacement belt should be about $25-30, and readily available at any appliance repair shop. About a 30-minute do-it-yourself job, counting the time it takes to figure out how to open the case.

While looking for a washing machine motor on eBay I found very little info/parts using Kenmore as a search word but found lots using Whirlpool. There is a good chance your dryer was made by Whirlpool and a good chance that's it's worth repairing. Like everyone else said, take a look at it try to determine what's wrong then come back here and ask more questions. I knew almost nothing about washing machines and, thanks to this newsgroup, it is now working again and I spent less than $40 on parts and now I know that I should probably keep it because many of the new ones are crap.

I'd suggest to check the belt, and the motor of course. Seriously, Sears is far too expensive in everything. Open your yellow pages under appliance repair, and make some phone calls.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not sure of the gas driers, but on an electric the drive belt is about $17 and a reasonably handy guy or gal can change it in just over an hour - about 20 minutes the second time 'round unless you have a bad memory.
Just did the one at the cottage 2 weeks ago - not counting running in to town to buy the part it took just over 15 minutes, including vacuuming out some lint. It had been over 5 years since I had last done one, and my memory isn't what it used to be.
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 04:01:57 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

On an Inglis built Kenmore, you pop the bottom front cover off to check it - and then pop the top (hinges up to the back) and pull the front off to change it. Needed to remove 4 scres, loosen 2 more, disconnect 2 wires, and that was it. The top has 2 spring clips after you remoce the screws in the lint filter, the bottom panel has 3 snaps across the top and hinge/clips at the bottom. 2 screws from the inside at the top come out, and 2 at the bottom (covered by the lower panel) come loose to pop the front off. Disconnect the wiires from the door switch first!!