Gas Dryer Doesn't Heat?

My gas dryer, a 1991 Kenmore Model 110.77694100 does not heat up. It tumbles okay and I can hear a switch click when I turn the heat control but the heat does not come on. I looked for a gas ignitor on the diagram but the only thing shown there is a Burner Assembly (279894) which sells for about $104.
I need to take the back off of the dryer and inspect the burner assembly to make sure there are no obvious problems (mice eating the insulation off a control wire, etc). I will also check with a volt meter to make sure voltage is getting to the assembly when I operate the heat control switch. If everything looks good that far, I suppose I'll wack the burner assembly with a hammer.
Any other ideas that I might look at?
"Arnie Goetchius" wrote

Shake the jahevees out of it until the tilt light comes on. That should do it.

Sounds like the thermal fuse..take off the back and you'll find a rectangular ceramic block with wires going to each end. Check it for continuity. You also won't find the burner assemble by taking off the back...you find that by taking off the front. Quite common for the thermal fuse to blow if the dryer got too hot because of obstruction in vent (kinked vent tube, etc.) Replaced one on my cousins dryer because the vent hose had come off and dryer was pushed up against wall so heat couldn't get out. Lucky she didn't burn down house.
Tom wrote:

Didn't find a "ceramic block" but did find a part that is labeled "THERMO-DISC" which I assume to be a thermal disconnect switch. It had continuity so that is not the problem.
Getting to the burner assembly looks like a big chore so I'm now leaning toward buying a new dryer.

The following site may help you figure out what's wrong with your dryer.
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas_dryer.html#noheat
Banister Stairwell wrote:

Thinks for the link. The points mentioned didn't really apply to my model.