Gas Cooktop: Pipe Sealant

I'm going to replace a couple of stuck valves on a gas cooktop. Looks like they just screw into the manifold once the ignitor switches & wiring harness is removed and the manifold is lifted enough to provide rotating clearance.

The threaded connection is a continuation of the valve body which appears to be aluminum. Threads are pretty fine. Is this an application for Teflon tape, pipe dope, or nothing at all?

Reply to
Chet Kincaid

My old boss used to use Rectorseal #5 on the external pipe threads. Don't try to paint internal threads.

.

The threaded connection is a continuation of the valve body which appears to be aluminum. Threads are pretty fine. Is this an application for Teflon tape, pipe dope, or nothing at all?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would use pipe dope.

Reply to
trader4

Does that work better than Rectorseal?

.

I would use pipe dope.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know, have never used Rectorseal. But pipe dope works, is approved for the use and is probably easier to find.

Reply to
trader4

Rectorseal is a brad name of pipe dope.

They do make many differant products.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was able to obtain a tube of Rectorseal #5 at HD and it seems to be working just fine. Thanks to everyone.

Reply to
Chet Kincaid

did you do the soapy water bubble test?

Reply to
Smitty Two

a plumber i know says he always uses teflon tape AND dope.....

while either cn leak now and then the combo never leaks.......

so thats what i do:)

Reply to
bob haller

That works totally well for water pipe threads. Natural gas, being lower pressure, that teflon plus rectorseal works perfectly.

.