Gas Clothes Dryer Problem

Our air conditioner/heater installation guy tapped in to the gas line that runs to our dryer as the source for our furnace on Saturday. He was missing a part for the furnace so it's not functioning at this time, however, since he tapped into the gas line our dryer is not running properly. Sometimes it gets hot and dries the clothes and sometimes it doesn't. Could what he did cause this problem? Is it okay to "share" a gas line or should he have tapped into the gas line that ran to our old floor furnace?

Reply to
cecelia

Gas lines are sized acording to consumption of apliance. Why did he not use what was used for the furnace before? A manometer[ or some spelling near} is a gauge that measures gas flow of a pipe, so competant instalers are sure they have proper gas supply. You hired a hack, not a pro. If you want to be sure the instal is correct take out a permit as you are required to do anyway. Do not pay till the instal is inspected. The inspector will save you any future worry of the instal.

Reply to
m Ransley

When I sized my gas line I had 1" to the furnace then 3/4" to every other appliance location except for the drops. Drops were never more than 3 feet. My furnace was 100k BTU and my gas fire place was 80k. I do not know about the stove and the dryer. I never had any problems. You do not mention what size pipe he ran nor what size the furnace is nor where it is in relationship to the gas meter. Surely he pulled an permit for installation. If not see other post about "hack".

Reply to
SQLit

Check your vent hose first. We just had a new furnace installed and yesterday my wife mentioned that it was taking forever to get the clothes dry. At some point during the installation of the new furnace ducts the dryer had been pushed back and crushed the vent hose. I think the dryer would cut off the burner because it was overheating and the clothes would take hours to get dry. I pulled the dryer out a little, fixed the hose and no more problem. Hope that helps

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Boyd