Gas Clothes Dryer

Page 1 of 2
I have a fairly new but very lightly used front loader Whirlpool Duet that has always served me well, but has gradually not dried as well as usual. Due to circumstances it uses a flex tube to vent. I removed it from the dryer and tried it, assuming there was a clog in the vent (although the vent does seem to push a lot of air). I got warm air, reconnected the vent and tried to dry a load, no luck. Removed the vent tube and cleaned it as best I could. This morning, it was able to dry a load.
Any suggestions for easy to use diagnostic choices? I dread paying for a service repair, but do want my dryer back in working form
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2/5/2013 12:33 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Lint build-up in dryer vents is the number one cause of poor dryer performance and dryer vent fires.
Sounds like your entire dryer vent system needs to be inspected and possibly cleaned.
Add pictures here
βœ–

it's a possibility, but I'm very good about cleaning the dryer filter. when I disconnected and reconnected the vent, a lot of crap came out. A casual inspection of the vent pipe looked good and I pushed a long duster thru it
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 5, 12:43 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

How "very good" are you? Have you washed your filter in warm soapy water lately?
It is especially important to do that if you use dryer softener sheets. They can cause a waxy buildup on the lint filter that will reduce air flow. Try running water through it. if it holds water, you have a build up of some kind.
Dryer sheets can also cause a build up on the moisture sensor and sensor screen screwing up the drying cycle.
See here, or lots of other sites that all basically say the same thing:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/dryer.asp
I too am "very good" about cleaning my lint filter. I even hung a reminder sign on the dryer that had to be moved before you could open the door to ensure that everyone else in my house was "very good" about cleaning the filter. Regardless, there will still be lint that finds it's way into the internal ductwork and restrict airflow.
Trust me...I've been there numerous times.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

Admit I've never washed it, will do that now. Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–
My one dryer had a problem it dried intermittently:(
When I took the dryer vent line apart I found a low spot, which was accumulating moisture.......
At first the dryer would work fine, then stuff wouldnt dry...
The problem occured after I replaced a leaky water hose......
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

I have temporarily re-routed the flex line so that it is more direct with fewer sharp turns and washed the lint filter as was also suggested (although it wasn't in any way clogged) and now have a fresh set of warm sheets nicely folded and put away in my linen closet. It remains to be seen if this experience has become constant or remains intermittent
Add pictures here
βœ–

So you still haven't checked the internal ductwork?
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

will try to do that today, but there seems to be ample air flow
Add pictures here
βœ–

How do you know what ample air flow is? Did you measure it before you straightened out the hose or washed the filter to know if it has improved?
Here's how it looks from where I'm sitting...
The dryer worked fine for some period of time before it stopped drying your clothes. You've straightened out the vent hose and washed the filter. Let's say you were right and the lint filter was not "in any way clogged". Therefore straightening out the vent hose seems to be the thing that helped. However, the dryer worked fine with the hose in it's bent configuration prior to the problem appearing.
That tells me that there was restricted airflow which you improved - somewhat - by straightening out the vent hose. That tells me that you still have a restriction and the only place left is the internal ductwork.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I think your diganostic choices include 1) Ask on the usenet group 2) web search for troubleshooting web sites 3) go to the library and borrow a book on clothes dryer repair 4) ask your friends and neighbors, or ask the guys at the hardware store
Any suggestions for easy to use diagnostic choices?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 21:33:16 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Dryer vent is cheap. Rigid is far better than flex, but a bit more difficult to install. [code might require rigid]
Just replace the vent and be done with it before you burn your house down and have to kick yourself in the ass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdNTcChFkBY
"More than 15,000 home fires are started by dryer fires every year, usually from lint build-up,"
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 5, 12:33 am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Can you verify that air is blowing freely from the vent OUTSIDE? If you can't get to the vent because it's up high, you don't have a ladder, etc, then I'd try running the dryer with the hose temporarily disconnected and see if dries clothes.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

absolutely
If you can't get to the vent because it's

I ran the dryer empty and unattached and one time it would heat, the next it wouldn't
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 5, 12:44 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

I have seen various (and intermittant) symptoms ranging from long dry times to complete shut downs due to lint buildup in the internal ductwork.
Do yourself a favor and clean them. It can't hurt and very well may solve your problem. If it doesn't, the cleaning will still have been a good idea and one more thing to check off of the list.
Other than finding an actual blown component, you have no way of knowing if lint buildup is the problem except by going through the exercise of cleaning the internal ductwork.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:44:50 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
Many have a thermal switch in the air stream designed to prevent it from getting too hot. Also there is often a thermal fusable safety as well. Typically the fusable is a one shot deal, when it goes you have to replace it. If there is a thermal switch as well it will be set to turn off at a lower temp. The parts are usually pretty cheap if it seems to be turning the heat off prematurely. Make sure it's clean like the others have pointed out.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's a gas dryer? Should you be running it unvented?
Add pictures here
βœ–

only for a short while to test it
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Monday, February 4, 2013 9:33:16 PM UTC-8, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Cleaning or replacing just the vent isn’t going to cut it. Depending on how and how much they are used they need to be taken apart and the insides need to be cleaned every few years. Something the manufacturers wont tell you. Some dryers like Speed Queen very easy or Maytag fairly easy to do.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 5, 10:54 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've had about 30 years of dryer experience. With three dryers. And I've yet to take one apart to clean it.
Add pictures here
βœ–