Gas Cans

Page 2 of 2
So, how do you start a fire with diesel and dryer lint? I can't quite envision that. Do you take two clumps of diesel lint, and rub them together?

A great fire starter is diesel fuel and dryer lint. A little dab of diesel will do it, slow hot burning and no flash fire.
Add pictures here
✖

When we were clearing trees and brush for a ski slope in the 60's we would take a tractor tire, lay it on its side and add 4-5 gallons of fuel oil.
Pile brush on to a height of 4-5 feet, and 10-20 around. Then we'd pour some gas over the tire and make a 'fuze' about 10 feet long with gas. Done right, on a calm day, with a little extra gas on the tire, you could lift the whole brush pile a foot or two in the air.
No one ever lost an eyebrow-- and amazingly enough we never started any forest fires.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Several years ago I went on my annual 'burn the brush piles' expedition. Several piles as big as you describe but as high as I could pile brush. I was clear cutting a Willow patch so all hte brush was from the current year and hard to start.
Method was to try to tunnel in as far as I could, some newsprint, some good dry kindling then deisel poured on the pile above it and keep adding diesel as the fire died down until the brush was going well.. I was working on 4 piles that day going from one to another in rotation adding the diesel.
Pour from 5 gallon can, Whoosh! and on to the next. Never gave it a thought that that "Whoosh!" is not what diesel does. About the 3rd go around I looked down and saw a flame flickering from the can spout, slapped my glove over it and took a break until the shakes quit. I had grabbed the gas can instead of the dieel.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
That's why they're color-coded.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 14, 10:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

Tru but I am reactionary and label the diesel can. Now I have to work on reading the label. :)
BTW teh problem with the new EPA cans slow pour is to vent the can. Small hole, screw and done. Tell the EPA they can look me up for a demo.
Harry K.
Add pictures here
✖
Sounds like a near death experience. Twelve weeks in the burn ward is no fun.
I'm thankful that [diety of your choice] protected you.
[...]

You might like this one then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw2C_XR64Y

Add pictures here
✖

It is sue every/anyone America where no-one takes responsibility for their own actions. Lawyers encourage this. Unfortunately spreading over here.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/12/2012 01:59 PM, Ann R. wrote:
[snip]

It's easier if you have three hands :-)
[snip]
--
43 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

"God; (he's) my favorite fictional character." Homer Simpson
✖
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:10:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

The best source for caps and old style nozzles are cans you see on the side of the road. Usually they have been run over and the can itself is trash but there is a good chance the cap survived.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:40:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sound goods. Any tips on where to start looking?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:31:05 -0600, Vic Smith

Any place where a lot of lawn care or boat guys drive.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:50:42 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

Midnight Auto Parts worked well for folks when I lived in Brooklyn NY in the 70's.
All you need is a black hat and gloves and slippers.
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

I've mentioned this before:
While foraging through the neighborhood the evening before heavy trash day, I scored a military jerry can.
Getting it home, I discovered the following stenciled on the bottom:
III Army Sept 44
Maybe my humble jerry can helped George Patton liberate Bastonge. I like to think so.
Add pictures here
✖
I have some 5 gallon gas cans that happen to use the same sort of lid on a briggs and stratton mower, I swapped them by mistake.......
Add pictures here
✖

Fellow at work swapped his like that also.
His mower would run about enough to make one lap around his yard and would cut off. He could get it started and make another lap. At work he asked why and we told him to checkthe vent hole in his gas cap. The next day he told us that he had swapped the two lids. The gas can cap did not have the hole in it like the mower cap.
Did you have trouble running you mower after the swap ?
Add pictures here
✖
Per Steve B:

I fell out of love with steel cans after a 1-gallon can of lawn mower gas rusted out around the bottom seam - allowing gasoline to leak out over the floor.
It also validated my practice of always having a separate building for combustibles and toxics.
--
Pete Cresswell

Add pictures here
✖