Gas boiler won't go on

I checked my thermostat and did the 'shorting' of the 2 wires and my boiler did not come on. I tried to lite the pilot light..nada. There is something constantly running in the background..it sounds like the burner is 'on', but it isn't. I do not see any flames. I checked circuit breaker and all is well there. I'm hesitant calling a plumber, the last time ( 2 years ago ) it cost me over $200 for a replaceable digital thermostat which eventually i did not have to had the old one replaced..it worked fine. Am at their mercy when they come to check it out. How can I contradict them..? They might say I need a new furnace..a chimney clean out, another thermostat and etc.

Reply to
Boothbay

Shut off the power and carefully vaccum out the furnaces then *gently* clean the pilot and the thermocouple. Sometimes the crud/dust keeps the pilot from staying lit and/or heating the thermocouple.

Reply to
RayV

How can you contradict them, pay for 10 techs to check it out then call your guy back. Is the pump running.

Reply to
m Ransley

How can you contradict them, pay for 10 techs to check it out then call your guy back. Is the pump running. >>>

Well, by not being an expert on heating, some of them can scam by just saying ..its something that is expensive and I cannot afford it. WhaT do you mean by Pump running?

Reply to
Boothbay

You said something sounds like it is running, boilers heat water and have pumps so the thermostat might be calling for heat but many things may not be allowing it to fire. If the pump is running and pilot is lit try tapping the gas valve with a piece of wood.

Reply to
m Ransley

ACTUALLY, not all hot water boilers have pumps. And Im not talking about something special or commercial or anything. Im talking about good ol regular resi stuff. Its called a gravity system. They also work quite well. Have for 70+ years. Pumps are for sissys. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

see:

and:
and search google.com for a copy of the manual for basic troubleshooting.

Reply to
buffalobill