Gas Boiler/programmable thermostat

Hello, I'm looking for confirmation on what type of programmable thermostat to buy and/or advice on its use.

I have a gas boiler that distributes heat via fin-tube registers throughout the house. The house is supposed to be 3-zone heat, but currently only one thermostat is operational (long story, but will be rectified in the near future). In the interim, however, I am interested in getting a programmable thermostat.

This is the first time I've dealt with a boiler system, but generally speaking it does not appear to be a nimble system (nor was it before the two regulators went south). So, when looking for a progammable tstat on the Honeywell site, the options include a "hot water" model versus a "steam" option...is steam hot water?

My questions are:

Is a gas boiler/water system conducive to savings with a programmable tstat or generally too sluggish to really make a difference?

I may replace my system in the future and I'm not looking for extensive features outside of regulating the temperature (i.e., I don't mind tedious programming of each day vs. a "copy" feature that I'll use once). I do not have a cooling system in the house, but that may be considered in the future. Does anyone have experience with the Honeywell CT8602, CT3600 or the CT3500? Are there others that you would recommend?

Thank you, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Steam, is NOT hot water...well...it is, but not in your case. :)

Program the stat with the right algorythm and it helps... Or, flip the switch, or turn out the screws as Honeywell tells you to and it helps...but that goes for any of their stats.

Yes, yes, and yes, and yes....however, you pick the one that has the features, and looks that you want. the VisionPro is the one you need to look at if you want the ultimate, and I dont mean the ones you can get now at Lowes...we bought two for a customer since the supplier was out, and they are only the same stat in looks.....we took them back with a "real"one in the box so we could get a total refund without hassle and the differences are plain as day to the trained, and to the untrained, well....its a nice stat.

Reply to
steve