Garden windows

I want to install a small garden window. I'm seeking one that has a clear roof, good insulation on all sides, is well built, and allows enough light through to grow seedlings and plants.

I found a Pella that looked good, but they claim they don't market them in this area. I want to avoid one of the dealers that hawks them on TV, then sends a salesman who doesn't know the details of the product to close the sale. Plastic is OK, but I want wood on the interior (finishing it myself is no problem).

Please name any manufacturer who makes a good garden window.

Reply to
Not

What area are you in ??? Maybe there is a GOOD reason the won't sell them there that you should heed ??

Reply to
benick

I'm near Cleveland. We think of our climate as moderate.

Reply to
Not

Is that Cleveland, Tennessee or the Mistake-on-the-Lake?

Reply to
Phisherman

"Not@home" wrote

I think you mean greenhouse or 'sunroom'.

Better Living does nice sunrooms. In my area, it's a '3 season' construction because we are much warmer so that works even in winter here. Where you are (presuming it's not the Tennesee one), you need a 4 season type. It will still be a heat drag but functional enough as living space. Contact a local company who offers references you can check as to the functionality of this type of contruction for your area.

Because in my case, we had a solid roof over the area already, we only did 2 walls (the other 2, one is a solid partition off a screened porch with load bearing members and the other is the 'house proper' wall).

Reply to
cshenk

It's where fun goes to die.

Reply to
HeyBub

More like a bay window........for growing things:

norminn

Precisely. This is to go in a place to replace an old fixed window. I mentioned insulation because I want the type glass that will minimize heat loss, and insulation on the bottom shelf, where apparently some manufacturers skimp, and a glass roof to let in more sunlight, since around here the sun is up in the sky; I don't know about Tennessee.

Is that the same HeyBub I hired to mow my lawn? Sorry it didn't work out.

Reply to
Not

Polaris, owned, manufactured, & distributed by MBS (Modern Builders Supply). Manufactured in Youngstown, OH.

They offer awesome quality windows, which I know for a fact, they stand behind their products.

MBS is a contractor only supplier. However, if you stop in @ one, they will give you 3 contractor names.

KWP

Don't know about that, but this is a good segue into a reverse window.

First, I'll admit the idea's not mine. I saw it at the Audubon Center of Western Pennsylvania.

Next, you need a three-sided aquarium. These are usually found near dumpsters at apartment houses. Or you can use a new aquarium and break out one side.

Coat the remaining three sides with reflective window film, fashion a wooden lid.

Now, mount the whole thing in your breakfast room window, open the lid and scatter some birdseed on the bottom. Replace the lid.

Before long the little neighborhood birdies will come visit you for their breakfast treats while you enjoy your Grape Nuts not six inches away. As the word spreads amongst the avian community, you'll get more and more feather fellows taking advantage of your generosity.

Your cat will enjoy the spectacle also.

Reply to
HeyBub