Garden Vinegar vs Roundup

Page 2 of 3

Don't get any RU on their leaves and they'll be fine. It's a lot better than messing with the pH of the dirt they're in.

My guess, at this point, would be, you're missing the point. Google "roundup toxicity" and do some reading and come to your own conclusions. I didn't know that Monsanto was being sued for it's claims that RU is as safe a table salt. I absolutely refuse to purchase any Scotts product due to their irresponsible marketing. If you're the type that reads the marketing bs and believes it, then I doubt we have much to talk about. BTW: I'd never use vinegar or RU by trees but I think that's the 3rd time I've said that in this thread. <g>
Jim

It *is* safe, very shortly after it's applied. Drink it, no, but I wouldn't hesitate to eat vegetables that were grown in soil that had weeds previously treated (according to directions) with it.

Then why would you propose it as an alternative to RU? I assume you wouldn't use RU there either.

I don't use any "weed control" product other than the following:
Vinegar and citrus oil in sidewalk cracks. (trial run. So far so good), and
Pulling.
http://www.panna.org/files/monsanto.pdf
Jim

Of course the point missed you my thirty miles.

Anything that starts out with "Monsanto is known for producing the dioxin-containing defoliant Agent Orange" isn't worth reading further.

Yeah...not reading is a good way to go through life. ;-)
Jim

Anthing that starts out a rant with such vitriol is hardly an unbiased source of information. *Obviously* slanted crap isn't worth my time, no. I can see where you would use it as "information", though.

Another idiot.

That's too bad. You actually were making some good points but your ability to deal with contrasting views needs work.
You didn't read it so you can't tell me one thing in that article that is false, can you? If you were self assured in your stance you would defend it, and counter the article with your knowledge. Right?
Jim

That was *not* a contrasting view. It was *obviously* crap, written by some nutcase.

Nope. When an article starts off with a daft conclusion, there is no reason to read further.

"Overview Monsanto is known for producing the dioxin-containing defoliant Agent Orange, which was used extensively in the Vietnam War; for forcing the evacuation of the community of Times Beach, Missouri, by contaminating it with dioxin; and for refusing to accept full responsibility for the PCB contamination of an Alabama town."
Which part is false?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Beach,_Missouri
http://www.commonweal.org/programs/brc/ppt-presentations/Anniston_AL_PCB.pdf
I don't think you read past Agent Orange.
Jim

It doesn't matter if any is false, or not. It matters that it is charged rhetoric intended to get across a point of view, nothing else. It is not a piece designed to inform or persuade, rather a piece for knuckleheads who already believe that everyone is out to get them. It's not surprising that you would use it as "evidence" of your position.

I now know you don't think.

Which part is false?
Jim

You really are illiterate, aren't you. Pity.

:-) You're the one who didn't read it.
Which part is false?
Jim

<snip>
Listen, you illiterate dumb fuck, I didn't say any part was false, or true, so your question is nonsensical. ...like everything else you've posted recently (and likely forever).

"Anthing that starts out a rant with such vitriol is hardly an unbiased source of information. *Obviously* slanted crap isn't worth my time, no. I can see where you would use it as "information", though."
You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Which part is false?
Jim

Why don't you go on a campaign against dihydrogen oxide. It is, after all, a strong poison but is used in almost all prepared food.
Harry K

Why don't you go on a campaign against dihydrogen oxide. It is, after all, a strong poison but is used in almost all prepared food.
Harry K
=== Not as bad as vinegar. <g>
Jim
On 9/12/2010 6:14 PM snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz spake thus:

Got your mind made up just because that paper dares to state a conclusion, eh?
Here's what it says about Roundup, ostensibly the subject of this discussion:
Monsantos Notorious Pesticides
RoundupRoundup (active ingredient glyphosate) is Monsantos flagship weed killer (or herbicide), accounting for 67% of the company's total sales or about $2.6 billion annually.1 The amount of Roundup sold has grown by around 20% each year over the past five years.2 Monsanto has expanded its capacity to produce Roundup nearly five-fold since 1992.3 While Monsanto maintains that Roundup is safe, many others disagree, including the New York State Attorney General. Based on its investigation, the Attorney Generals office filed a lawsuit arguing that the companys advertising inaccurately portrayed Monsanto's glyphosate-containing products as safe and as not causing any harmful effects to people or the environment. As part of an out-of-court settlement, Monsanto agreed to discontinue use of terms such as "biodegradable" and "environmentally friendly" in all advertising of glyphosate-containing products in New York state and paid US$50,000 toward the state's costs of pursuing the case.4 There are a number of environmental and human health problems associated with glyphosate. For example, in studies of people (mostly farmers) exposed to glyphosate, exposure is associated with an increased risk of miscarriages, premature birth and the cancer, non-Hodgkins lymphoma.5 In one case, Monsanto paid a US$225,000 fine for having mislabeled Roundup containers on 75 separate occasions. It was the largest settlement ever paid for violation of U.S. Worker Protection Standards. The labels had claimed that the restricted entry period after application of Roundup was four, rather than the actual 12 hours.6
So just what exactly about this do you disagree with? Keep in mind that all those numbers I've left in the text are footnote references you can check if you refer to the PDF.
Or you can just choose to take the company at their word. I suppose you actually believe that BP is doing all it can to mitigate the effects from its exploded oil rig, for example.

Another illiterate.
<Illiterate's crap snipped>