Garden Hose Repair

I have a garden hose that has a tiny leak and sprays a fine stream of water, especially when the nozzle is shut off. Of course it is always aimed at my pants leg. The hose is in good condition otherwise, so it's worth repairing. To fix this tiny hole, must I cut the hose in half and apply one of those splicers, or is there some sort of glue, patch, or tape made to repair holes? I'd rather use a patch, because those splicers always get stuck on everything when you pull the hose around. I was wondering if a bicycle tire patch would work? Anyone ever tried that?

Thanks

George

Reply to
georgesweeney

You will need to splice it or use an end repair kit (cutting off the part with the leak and putting a new end on the hose there.

Personally I find that when a hose gets one leak, more are not far behind.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

utting off the

me too, after attempting all sorts of repairs i just replace the hose.....

craftsman garden hoses did have a lifetime leak warranty but i dont know if the warranty still exists and sears is in danger of going out of business

Reply to
hallerb

Most lightly, a patch without clamps or glue or mighty putty will not work in the long term.

You could try a small screw to plug the hole, that sometimes will stop the leak.

This type of fix, where you need to cut the hose, is the best bet:

Frank

(cutting off the

re are not far

you might try a tire patch overwrapped with something like Scotch 23 and then finally friction tape; that said if it is near an end it is likely quicker, easier, cheaper, and more attractive to simply cut off and install a brass end with a stainless steel hose clamp.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Since when is Sears going out of buisness???

a bad quarter or two means they are going OOB? I don't think so. Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

I guess we will have to wait and see. I have read that they are restructuring, but who isn't?

Sears Holdings Corporation (Public, NASDAQ:SHLD)

94.74 +0.40 (0.42%) After Hours: 95.29 +0.55 (0.58%) - May 14, 4:21PM ET

Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

I've tried all kinds of gadgets, none has worked for me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

just cut it at the hole and put a male on one and a female on the other. Now it's like two hoses. If it's spraying on your pants , then the hole must be fairly close to the end. you could just cut it off and throw away the short piece. Put a new male on the end and you are done.

S. Barker

Sears going out of biz?? ya right. You been on national enquirer dot com or what?

me too, after attempting all sorts of repairs i just replace the hose.....

craftsman garden hoses did have a lifetime leak warranty but i dont know if the warranty still exists and sears is in danger of going out of business

Reply to
S. Barker

If they sold Craftsman tools, they may as well shut their doors. That's about the only thing they had that made it worth going into their stores.

George

Reply to
georgesweeney

If you have a GOOD hardware store within reach, they should be able to install new ends on the hose without trouble. They should have REAL equipment to do this, inserts, outter parts and a press to install. I have had it done often with my hoses, it's not very expensive and if you want to save the hose...have it repaired.

Gene

Reply to
someone

Used to be, but they cheapened the Craftsman line that I now avoid anything that says Craftsman. ;(

nick hull

Craftsman tools that have absolutely no moving parts have been a value buy, plus they have a lifetime warranty. Many of the other Craftsman items are just other brands, contracted to Sears/Kmart. Look where the tool is made, that can tell you a lot. Tools made in China are... (well, you already knew that.)

Reply to
Phisherman

After many times replacing hoses with the expensive "lifetime", 'no kink" etc. I got tired of getting kinks in them. Now it is the cheapest ones I can find and I haven't had to replace one of theose in pushing 20 years now. The yellow ones that collapse when not pressurized work best for me.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

they can "cheapen" then all they want, it's the lifetime warranty that matters. And i don't see any change in them myself. I've been trading craftsman hand tools for 30+ years.

S. Barker

Hmmm, Even that has changed. When my rachet wrench quit, they did not replace it. They gave me a repair kit. Singer used to make Craftsman tools but now I think most are rebadged this and that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

ve been trading

i have a brand new craftsman slot head screwdriver that broke on first use...... waiting for trip to mall, to save gas.

has anyne noted the new craftsman screwdrivers look different?'

wonder if they are coming from china?

Reply to
hallerb

As others have mentioned, if the leak is near the end of the hose, it's probably best to just cut the hose at the leak and install a new end -- any hardware store will have the hardware for that. If the leak is in the middle somewhere, if it were me I would try something quick & stupid first -- say, wrapping duct tape on it. Costs practically nothing and if it fails, so what? Even if it doesn't prove waterproof, if it goes from spraying to dripping, perhaps that is good enough. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Sears doesn't look good right now, 12 month performance based on share value:

Sears -45.3% Macy's -36.6% J.C. Penny -39.0% Target -4.3% Wal-Mart +20.0% Costco +37.3%

Scary, half of Sears' value vanished within a year. My dad use to buy everything at Sears - tools, farming equipment, furniture, clothes and anything else. I believe at one time you could even buy a pre fab house from them. Last time I was at a Sears store during a weekday late morning, its was void of shoppers.

Reply to
Frank