Garden Hose Repair

Page 1 of 2
I have a garden hose that has a tiny leak and sprays a fine stream of water, especially when the nozzle is shut off. Of course it is always aimed at my pants leg. The hose is in good condition otherwise, so it's worth repairing. To fix this tiny hole, must I cut the hose in half and apply one of those splicers, or is there some sort of glue, patch, or tape made to repair holes? I'd rather use a patch, because those splicers always get stuck on everything when you pull the hose around. I was wondering if a bicycle tire patch would work? Anyone ever tried that?
Thanks
George
You will need to splice it or use an end repair kit (cutting off the part with the leak and putting a new end on the hose there.
Personally I find that when a hose gets one leak, more are not far behind.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

me too, after attempting all sorts of repairs i just replace the hose.....
craftsman garden hoses did have a lifetime leak warranty but i dont know if the warranty still exists and sears is in danger of going out of business

you might try a tire patch overwrapped with something like Scotch 23 and then finally friction tape; that said if it is near an end it is likely quicker, easier, cheaper, and more attractive to simply cut off and install a brass end with a stainless steel hose clamp.
nate
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Since when is Sears going out of buisness???
a bad quarter or two means they are going OOB? I don't think so. Clark...
--
Don\'t you have Google in your part of the world?

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I guess we will have to wait and see. I have read that they are restructuring, but who isn't?
Sears Holdings Corporation (Public, NASDAQ:SHLD) 94.74 +0.40 (0.42%) After Hours: 95.29 +0.55 (0.58%) - May 14, 4:21PM ET
Clark...
--
Don\'t you have Google in your part of the world?

Sears doesn't look good right now, 12 month performance based on share value:
Sears -45.3% Macy's -36.6% J.C. Penny -39.0% Target -4.3% Wal-Mart +20.0% Costco +37.3%
Scary, half of Sears' value vanished within a year. My dad use to buy everything at Sears - tools, farming equipment, furniture, clothes and anything else. I believe at one time you could even buy a pre fab house from them. Last time I was at a Sears store during a weekday late morning, its was void of shoppers.
Frank wrote:

Sears around here is packed, Holyoke mall, Holyoke mass Clark...
--
Don\'t you have Google in your part of the world?

On Wed, 14 May 2008 14:47:23 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

If they sold Craftsman tools, they may as well shut their doors. That's about the only thing they had that made it worth going into their stores.
George
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Used to be, but they cheapened the Craftsman line that I now avoid anything that says Craftsman. ;(

Craftsman tools that have absolutely no moving parts have been a value buy, plus they have a lifetime warranty. Many of the other Craftsman items are just other brands, contracted to Sears/Kmart. Look where the tool is made, that can tell you a lot. Tools made in China are... (well, you already knew that.)
they can "cheapen" then all they want, it's the lifetime warranty that matters. And i don't see any change in them myself. I've been trading craftsman hand tools for 30+ years.

S. Barker wrote:

Even that has changed. When my rachet wrench quit, they did not replace it. They gave me a repair kit. Singer used to make Craftsman tools but now I think most are rebadged this and that.

i have a brand new craftsman slot head screwdriver that broke on first use...... waiting for trip to mall, to save gas.
has anyne noted the new craftsman screwdrivers look different?'
wonder if they are coming from china?

I don't know, but I did have a Torx driver strip the handle on me once while trying to remove a choke cover. Pretty pathetic. It too was brand new, just out of the box.
nate

Curious, what's in the repair kit for a ratchet wrench? Why can they just give your a new replacement?
actually you get everything that's inside the handle. Even the snap ring that holds it together. Best way to avoid the problem is to just put the dam thing in the vise, take the 3 pound mopar alignment tool and break the handle inhalf. No repair kit will fix that.

I'd rather they did give me a repair kit for some of the older ones, but I have not seen them in a couple of years. I did manage to trade up to a polished "professional" 1/2" ratchet once though as they did not have a regular one in their "rebuilt" drawer.
nate
they tried that 'repair kit' shit with me a few times. I say no thank you , i'll take a new ratchet. and that's what we do. 'course i've been trading at the same store for 30+ years.

I agree, far better to buy S-K or K-D from an auto parts store. The warranty is nice though, even though the flat blade screwdrivers need replacing about every year or so.
nate