Garden Hose Freeze Protection

I have a commercial quality 1" rubber garden hose. Faucet is sheltered in the basement.

We are due for some cold weather (12F).

I've never given this much thought. Do I need to drain the hose or not?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

You don't need to drain the hose but it would be prudent to disconnect it from the faucet.

Even high end rubber hoses do deteriorate over time. If you are finished using it for the season and can store it out of the weather I would.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I leave mine out. They will deteriorate faster but sunlight and heat are probably worse than cold. Plastic spray heads don't like the cold and should be removed. I don't have problem with metal ones.

Reply to
Frank

Thanks to you and jamesgangnc. I'll bring in the water timer and not worry about it for the time being. Got enough on my plate!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I agree, cold is not generaly a problem. I was thinking that it's another 4 months of sunlight that could be avoided. Sunlight is the worst.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yes, drain the hose or else you risk having the connections on either end being bent or cracked. Plus if you want to use the hose in the winter it won't be plugged up with ice. I often use my hose in the winter on the pressure washer to remove the brown frozen salt slush off the car or truck. I keep the pressure washer in the basement. Quick disconnects are nice too.

Reply to
LSMFT

Yes

Reply to
notbob

No - If it is a decent quaity, it will expand with the ice formation. Now the connectors on the ends are a different story. Plastic fittings and plastic garden sprinklers, etc, cannot take the expansion and will almost surely crack.

Reply to
hrhofmann

We lost a couple otherwise good plastic nozzles even after draining all pressure from the hose. Probably the little water they retain is enough to break them when it freezes. Never left a hose over winter full of water. Now I take off the nozzles and bring them inside. Turn off inside water stops, open outside faucets, roll out hoses to drain most water and roll back up. About 5 minutes. Same hoses - medium quality - for about 8 years.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Hose is outside, disconnected and drained. Have never had a hose problem. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I've seen frozen water hoses with an ice cylinder extending from the open end. What would happen if a nozzle were attached, I don't know.

Probably the hose would just expand to accommodate the ice.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you have a house fire, you will be pretty frustrated trying to get water out of a hose filled with ice.

Don't worry, the fire department will be along at some point. The fire may be a lot bigger by then, but they should be able to save nearby structures.

Reply to
JohnnyD

It's always best to darin a hose when it's going to be stored for long periods of time. That way whatever minerals, acids, whatever in the water won't get a long term chance to work on the rubber. Especially true for real rubber hoses. They'll last forever. Also be sure they're rolled neatly - no kinks to force separation of rubber/plies, whatever. It's so quick & easy I do it when I bring the hoses in for the winter, before freezing temps arrive. If it can get below freezing, definitely drain them.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

What the hell does that mean? How many house fires have you put out with a garden house?

If it is a small fire, and most fires start in the kitchen, then I have a fire extinguisher. In fact more than one. Counting on a garden hose to put that out is absurd, let alone one you would have to unwind and hookup. It looks like you are angling for insults.

GFY, I won't be responding top any more nonsense from you.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I suspect a bit of sarcasm there . Don't let your liver get in a quiver; this is usenet, after all.

Reply to
Twayne

In that case, just toss the hose in the fire, the ice will melt pretty fast.

Reply to
MarkAdcliff

FFffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk YYYyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Reply to
garbageman

Yes. I see no reason *not* to slap someone around from time to time. This is usenet, after all! There are a few posters in every group that contribute nothing useful, just this kind of nonsense. Gives them a taste too. Note the silly nymn shifting response he made. Silly Troll.

Come up with something useful, now and then, and some sarcasm is fine.

YMMV.

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to