Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?

I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is $200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like the one shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this purpose, and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

James

RBM

on 5/10/2009 3:01 PM (ET) James wrote the following:

You need a polyurethane hose that can handle gasoline or oil. Available at the big box stores in cut-to-length rolls.

Reply to
willshak

I'm just curious: what kind of 'problems' do you keep an eye out for that you can actually solve after you visually note them happening?

jc

Reply to
Joe

RBM

jloomis

not sure if I could roll up a pvc line for storage when I am not using it...

the advice of a polyurathane hose is good, but I think 50 feet will be quite expensive

James

Reply to
James

"Joe" wrote in news:u1HNl.1438$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

City inspectors maybe.

Reply to
Red Green

On 5/10/2009 2:17 PM James spake thus:

So what is the inside of ordinary garden hose made of? Sheesh, I'll bet that whatever it is, it's plenty resistant to petroleum products such as what you're pumping (despite the possibility that it's "not approved" for such use).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If you need to look over your shoulder in fear of an inspector checking the type of hose you're using, it time to move

Reply to
RBM

You could always try getting a sample piece of hose and soaking in kerosine for a couple of days to see if it swells, dissolves or degrades.

Reply to
Frank

Or a cheap one. What do commerical grade water hoses have that cheap grade don't?

Good idea.

Reply to
mm

It might work. Hose is rather special stuff, and plastics/rubber can swell and fail very quickly in petroleum service. I think there is a good reason a proper hose costs a bit of money..for the required materials. I'd recommend getting hose certified for your service.

If you choose water hose then please let us know what happens

EJ > I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft

Ernie Willson

It would help to know what the hose is made of. The pictured black hose may be made of nitrile rubber. If so it has excellent chemical compatibility to kerosene.

Reply to
tnom

First of all, how much fuel, how often? Are a couple of trips with a 5 gallon can realistic or are we talking hundreds/thousands of gallons?

Next, is there any possibility of getting the trailer closer?

If all else fails, you could buy fuel line from an auto store for $1-2 a foot, and I'd bet you could probably order it for a bit less.

Reply to
Larry The Snake Guy

It would help to know what the hose is made of. The pictured black hose may be made of EPDM rubber. If so it not recommended to use with kerosene.

Reply to
tnom

"RBM" wrote in news:4a076216$0$5924$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

I meant the fact of private citizen pumping oil into the ground...tank or not.

Reply to
Red Green

Private citizen pumping privately owned oil from one privately owned tank to another privately owned tank on private property...privately, just to clarify

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" wrote in news:4a078921$0$5903$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Well in some Granola-head states, when it comes to anything to do with oil and the ground there is no such thing as "privately".

Reply to
Red Green

I hear you just fine. The whole country is becoming a nanny state.

Reply to
RBM