Garden hose connections

Page 1 of 2
How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or other freeing chemicals.
Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?
TIA

On 5/6/2014 9:22 AM, KenK wrote:

I'd think that anti-seize compound would work. Loctite is probably the most common brand.
On 05/06/2014 10:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if the water has a lot of minerals in it? My cheap $5 hoses last at least ten years.
Though it's easy enough to replace the fittings it's not really worth doing.

We have well water here that is tough on metal. I usually cut the connectors off and replace them with plastic as soon as they start getting nasty.

but worth every cent.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Best answer so far.
I find the plastic connectors are pretty cheap, don't corrode and get hard to open, and seal well. It's really easy to just cut off the old connector and clamp on a plastic one.
They also make those quick connect things, but the few I've had have been a bit difficult to operate.
--
Dan Espen

On 5/6/2014 1:18 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:

I've replaced hose fittings with new plastic, which I consider junk. My new-last-year yard has taken a lot of work in landscaping and caring for artificial pond. Our water has a huge amount of iron, and when the outdoor connection (on hose reel) leaked a lot, the connections got pretty nasty. I took off the reel-to-faucet connector, soaked the fittings in CLR, and....voila! Then, for that particular PIA, I'm going to put it on quick connects and seal them up with silicone caulk. I have 100' of hose to haul around for various projects, and I am meticulous in making sure I don't screw together any fittings with sand on or in them; those don't leak.
After I get the veggie garden planted, I'll be making some concrete stepping stones shaped like grape leaves, and put a few along the concrete edging I make for flower beds. Google maps will think there is a Jack-in-the-beanstalk down here ;o)
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) wrote in wrote:

I was just about to post the same thing. I use a garden hose to feed my evaporative cooler. I just replaced the hose (old one springing leaks most evey day) and had a hard tome getting the old hose off the adapter to the cooler water fitting. I made an adapter with two plastic connectors and a few inches of hose ($3.50 total) to isolate the new hose from the adapter. I expect no problem removing it. Very easy to mount on hose - the metal ones require a screwdriver and cost $1 more.

Just keep in mind they snap easily. Today I dropped the hose nozzle and it snapped. Second time I did that. If I see brass I'd pay extra for that.

I invariably step on those metal hose ends. Put one out of round and they're useless.
--
Dan Espen

...snip...

Just step on the mating end with the same force.
Screwing 2 ovals together is pretty easy. ;-)
On Tue, 06 May 2014 14:26:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) wrote:

Then plastic is better for you. I've never once had brass bend, but always have a nozzle on it.

a dollar more --
On Tue, 06 May 2014 12:56:26 -0500, Vic Smith

On Tue, 06 May 2014 14:26:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) wrote:

Don't crack, haven't corroded yet, easy to connect and disconnect
On Tue, 06 May 2014 13:18:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) wrote:

I have found the black and green quick disconnects with the short, fat collar seem to suck but the orange ones with the longer locking collar work pretty well.

Couldn't help but note : Now that's a real oxymoron
loctite anti-sieze
almost as good as military intelligence or honest politician or junbo shrimp <g>
Good suggestion.
Thanks.

On 5/7/2014 12:23 PM, KenK wrote:

As the son of an editor, I usually catch things like this. Good one, you are spot on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes. Well water.

It's on an hour on Friday nights, so I guess it's on for an hour.