Garbage disposals

Do garbage disposals have to be hardwired in? I need to change one and I thought about adding an outlet so it can be plugged in. Wiring the thing in underneath the sink is a royal pain.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

No.
Your thinking is correct. An outlet is much better than hardwiring.
Position the outlet high in the most convenient location and toward the front.
JIMMIE wrote:

Look at what is being sold. Have plugs?? No need to hard wire.

Generally they can be installed either way. Local code may specify one or the other. I never really found it all that difficult to wire it directly. Under the sink is far from the toughest place to make a connection. I've always found the pipes, getting them correctly aligned, leak free, etc a lot harder than the wiring.
On Sep 17, 11:10am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

This one is a PITA on everything, single door, small sink, not much room, need to replace the short wires anyway. I figure anything I can do to make it easier will be a lot of help. I am even considering pulling the sink out.
Jimmie
Jimmie

Go for it. That's the first thing a pro would do in that situation.
Joe

I went ahead and pulled the sink cutting the pipe in places that would be easy to replace. Geez it didnt take 20 minutes. I may replace the sink, I didnt realize what a chintsy sink this thing was. I would have probably warped the bottom of the sink trying to take the lock ring off. Found that some genius glued pieces of the PVC trap together they shouldnt have. That would explain a lot of my frustration with this project. Throwing all this junk away is getting to sound like a great idea. usenet groups are theraputic.
Jimmie

You mean regular thinwall stuff that's packaged or sched 40 pipe?

JIMMIE wrote:

Ours is plugged into a switched half duplex outlet on he wall behind the motor. This is more convenient than hard wire it. The other non switched duplex is used for UV light for under sink water filter.