Garbage disposal switch advice

Page 2 of 2

I never said there was problem keeping the sink clean, but I'll wager it's more work with a batch feed than with a switch. If nothing else, the mere act of picking up, inserting the cover, removing it and putting it back is more work than flipping a switch on and off. The way we use our disposal, which may be turned on more than once during a kitchen cleaning, a batch feed would be rather inconvenient.
However, I will disagree that the "point" of the batch feed style is prevent things from going down the drain. While it certainly serves that purpose, _all_ GD's have baffles of some type to prevent things from going down the drain. Of course, some are designed better than others.
The baffle for my old Kenmore was "permanently" installed between the sink and the drain collar. When it wore out and got soft, it required dropping the disposal, dismantling the collar, etc. For that reason, it stayed in place a bit longer than it should have. On the other hand, the one for my InSinkErator just sits inside the drain making R&R a simple operation. In the 5+ years that the InSinkErator has been installed, I have not had a single instance of something falling into the GD. The overlapping design of the rubber flaps prevents items from falling into the GD, yet allows water and small food pieces to flow right in.
On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:55:21 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I I was putting one in and could accomodate it, that's what I would use.

I think safety is the main issue, especially if you have kids.
When I run my GD, it's not only for the debris that's

I agree, which is why I wouldn't want a batch model either.

Follow code, and commn sense, as to the location of a switch that could after being turned on do a lot of damage!
Companies make an attractive, battery operated, operated 'stick on' wireless switch that matches most other switches in appearance.
Place all the wiring in a conveninet location, then stick the swtich more than arm's reach from the disposal's opening - done, all without damaging the stone work.

Mount switch inside the cabinet, use a shallow utility box to minimize the amount it protrudes into the opening of the cabinet.
On 1/22/2014 9:55 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Air Switch
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Garbage-Disposal-Air-Switch-in-Brushed-Stainless-I5580-BS/203499159
On 1/22/2014 9:55 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/Household-Products/Garbage-Disposers/Evolution/Pages/SinkTopSwitch.aspx
BenignBodger wrote:

I second this suggestion, I installed the new disposal using this and it works like a charm
--
PV

"Sorry PV but the Police will jail you if you dare approach me."

I looked at the pdf file. the brochure. What does the dispenser dispense.

With all the discussion of putting the switch at a safe distance, the brochure shows this switch only a foot from the mouth of the disposal .
On 1/23/2014 11:44 AM, micky wrote:

The question is one of electrical safety, not someone with an irrational desire to cram their hand into a spinning disposal. The pneumatic switch setup provides 100% electrical isolation and flexibility in positioning and those are its primary purposes. AFAIK there are places where this or a similar arrangement are mandatory in the electrical code although I've never lived in one of them.
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:08:00 PM UTC-5, BenignBodger wrote:

Running a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Pl acing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would ha te to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink t o the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities tha t are applicable to this situation?

appreciated.

s/Evolution/Pages/SinkTopSwitch.aspx

.

nd

Yup. I've seen a lot of installations with a single recep under the sink a nd a cord and plug for the disposer as well. Makes a lot of sense; if you do anything to the disposer involving disassembly or sticking your hand in it, open the cabinet and yank the plug first.
nate
N8N wrote:

Hi, +1 hard wiring a disposal unit or DW is bummer. Push button is one idea. Or toe switch?(Maybe easier to locate the switch on kick panel under thesink. Just push the switch with foot(big toe) when operating the unit.
alt.home.repair:

I seem to recall being told that, in some places at least, building safety code required that the disposal switch be far enough away that you couldn't turn it on while your hand was in the sink. I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes good sense to me.
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:08:00 PM UTC-5, BenignBodger wrote:

Running a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Pl acing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would ha te to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink t o the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities tha t are applicable to this situation?

appreciated.

s/Evolution/Pages/SinkTopSwitch.aspx

.

nd

Another fine example of how assute Micky Mouse is.

Maybe for you that is the question, but it was not the question most people in this thread discussed.

Nor was that the topic, but there are almost always more than two choices.
The topic discussed here was accidentally turning on the disposal when one's hand was in it. Nothing to do with irrationallity.
Read the posts again if you don't believe me.

Nothing in your post changes what I said.
On Friday, January 24, 2014 2:26:25 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

. Running a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. P lacing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would h ate to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities th at are applicable to this situation?

appreciated.

rs/Evolution/Pages/SinkTopSwitch.aspx

.

The OP posed the question:
"Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are applicable to this situation?"
I answered it by referring them to the pneumatic type of switch. So did other posters. That you're lost in the wilderness isn't our problem.

Actually the topic was:
""Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are applicable t o this situation?"

Read the question asked again.

and

What you said was:
"With all the discussion of putting the switch at a safe distance, the brochure shows this switch only a foot from the mouth of the disposal. "
Maybe that's because Insinkerator wasn't part of the discussion here. That switch is sold by Insinkerator, who I would think knows about disposal safety. Other manufacturers also offer them. It apparently meets NEC and any plumbing codes typically found in the USA, unless you have cites that show otherwise. It fits what the OP asked for, if he has or can make a suitable mounting hole. I'd prefer it on my sink if I didn't already have a wall mounted switch because it's more convenient and you don't have to reach for a switch with wet hands. How about the safety aspect of *that*? Yeah, you could stick your hand into the disposal and push the button to turn it on at the same time, if you're dumb enough to do so. There are plenty of installations with wall switches where you could do the same thing. If you're that concerned about that possibility, then you can buy a batch type that addresses that exact issue, but from the question posed, that wasn't the issue.
And wasn't it you who just bitched at me in another thread because I didn't just stick to the exact question posed?
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:44:20 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Running a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Pla cing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would hat e to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are applicable to this situation?

ppreciated.

Evolution/Pages/SinkTopSwitch.aspx

I see a link to a sink top switch for a garbage disposal. What are you looking at?

If I were putting in a new disposal, that' where I'd put the switch, at one of the extra holes at the sink. I don't have kids, I'm not dumb enough to put my hand in the disposal while activating it. IDK, anyone who is. I like the convenience of not having to reach over with wet hands to a conventional switch. OMG, we're all gonna die from the wet hands! If a switch at the sink is such a safety issue, perhaps you can give us some cites to the codes that say how far a disposal switch has to be and how this is a code violation. Good grief!
Installing under-sink garbage disposer in daughters old (1912) home. Running a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Placing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would hate to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are applicable to this situation?
Some of you must have faced this in the past. All comments greatly appreciated.
*I haven't seen these in a long time, but there used to be some garbage disposals that would activate via the sink stopper. You would just insert the sink stopper and rotate it and the disposal would come on. No wall switch needed.
As others have mentioned you could install a switch on the cabinet edge inside so that it is convenient when the bottom cabinet door is opened.

Not arguing, but I wonder what a sewage system "designed for" a GD looks like.
The GD was introduced around 1940. My house was built in 1956. Was my sewer system "designed for" a GD? I don't know. I know I've had a GD for close to 30 years without it causing any issues.

Trust me, I know what you are talking about. When the first GD was installed in my house, the galvanized drain pipe was exactly, as you described - a twisting 1/2” channel through a mess of grease and other debris. Mine is about 8' long before it enters the main vertical stack. It was replaced with PVC and I've never had a clog ever since.
On 1/22/2014 9:55 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Buy a batch feed model with the switch built into the top.