Garbage disposal switch advice

Page 1 of 2
Installing under-sink garbage disposer in daughters old (1912) home. Runni ng a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Placing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would hate to c ut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the b ack splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are a pplicable to this situation?
Some of you must have faced this in the past. All comments greatly appreci ated.
Ivan Vegvary

My parent's switch used to be in the cabinet below the sink. Open door, flip switch up, wait, flip switch down, close door.
When I installed a new GD for them, I moved the switch to the wall behind the sink because I could, but there wasn't anything really that bad about having it under the sink.
On 01/22/2014 09:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good idea. If I'd ever put one in, I'd do the same. Nice thing is, no one would flip the wrong switch by mistake.
On 1/22/2014 7:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

in the cabinet below the sink. Right next to the GD.
I removed the GD and switch because the home was on septic tank and I didn't need all the vagative matter in the tank.
Paul
On 01/22/2014 09:15 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:

Oh my, what a typo!
On 1/22/2014 10:42 AM, philo wrote:

Yep, removing the gosh darn.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/22/2014 9:55 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

kids who might play with the switch?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If kids are an issue, a switch inside the sink base cabinet, along with the proper child-proof safeguards on the cabinet door should suffice. Obviously this makes the use of the switch a little more cumbersome, but after all, we must protect our children.
On 1/22/2014 11:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, think of the attorne^h^h^h^h^h children!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I certainly think parents should do what's reasonable to protect their kids. (I certainly had my little hand slapped if I reached for the stove.)
In this case, however, what DerbyDad03 questions is actually:
What if I'm rooting around in the garbage disposal for my wedding ring, and my kneebiter scoots in and turns on the disposal?
Cindy Hamilton

On 1/22/2014 1:54 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

and the occasional butt whack. I'm glad I did, I grew up to be a hard working conservative, not a whiney welfare liberal.
I can easily imagine toddlers finding the disposal switch, and enjoy the noise it makes. Also makes Mom scream from the other room.
If the knee biter turns on the disposal when you are reaching in, looking for your wedding ring: No longer need your ring? No finger on which to place?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/22/2014 02:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

This is why every homeowner should have a locking disconnect on their disposer circuit.
On 1/22/2014 3:52 PM, Bubba wrote:

Unplug from receptacle and put one of these on it:
http://www.deenergize.com/img/clipart/Typical_Cord_Lockout_Device_for_Large_Plugs.jpg

If the switch is "within sight", why would you need a locking disconnect. My fist would not be in the disposal if I saw someone reaching for the switch, it would be in their face.

'Twere it I that had my hand in the GD, it would be with my knee against the door behind which was the switch.
In my kitchen, the switch is by itself behind the dish rack. It was placed there purposely to be slightly inconvenient so as to avoid it ever being used "by accident".
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 02:00:35 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Golly Cindy, how often do either of these happen?

Yes indeed.

My switch is in the same place. I have to lean pretty far to reach it. Would be inconvenient even if the dishrack were not there. My house was built by a builder. I should check if all the other houses are the same.
IIRC, the blueprints are vague about where the electric stuff goes but maybe electricians already know to mount the switch where it's hard to reach????

As would I.

We don't have a dish rack, but ours is up on the wall, too.
Frankly, if anything goes into the garbage disposal and needs to be retrieved, I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers that I keep in the kitchen.
Cindy Hamilton

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:55:47 AM UTC-5, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would hate to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are applicable to this situation?

They have pushbutton switches that are made to mount in a hole in the sink, like where a spray hose, soap dispenser, etc would go. Not sure exactly how they work, but the electric switch part is separate, down below, and they use some pneumatic pressure or similar to work the switch, so there is no danger of shock.
There are also batch type, where the disposal only runs when you put the cover on it.

The push button switch might work but I've never understood the point of a batch feed GD. When I run my GD, it's not only for the debris that's already on the GD, but also for the debris that's in the sink and the dishpan.
I want an open drain to flush debris into while the GD is running. I don't want to rinse, cover, run GD, remove cover, etc. Too many steps for such a simple task as cleaning the sink.
Note: By "open drain" I don't mean wide open so that the wrong stuff can fall in. My InSinkErator has an excellent, removable baffle that not only prevents items like utensils from falling in but also is designed to reduce the noise from the GD.
On 1/22/2014 11:55 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The point of a batch feed is to simplify wiring and to avoid things that should not go into the disposal from getting washed in while running. Like a stray metal bottle cap.
I've had batch feed in two houses over 45 years. Never had the problem of keeping the sink clean.