Garbage Disposal Stuck

When I turn it on, the motor coil hums but doesn't spin. In the past something had fallen into it and I could remove it by hand or work it loose with a wooden dowel. Not budging this time. Drain flows free so I'll wait ask the wise folks here for any ideas, and then remove it tonight.

Much obliged!

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

On 27 Jul 2015, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote in alt.home.repair:

Mine once jammed up in a similar way and I couldn't manage to unjam it. I bought a new disposal, and while in the process of removing the old one, I discovered that one of those turkey trussing pins had fallen down point first in such a way that I couldn't feel it from above. I removed it, reconnected everything, and it's still running 10 years later.

Not saying that's your problem, but it may be something stuck in there that you can't see or feel.

Reply to
Nil

ething had fallen into it and I could remove it by hand or work it loose wi th a wooden dowel. Not budging this time. Drain flows free so I'll wait a sk the wise folks here for any ideas, and then remove it tonight.

*A broom handle works sometimes to un-jam. Also on the bottom center under neath, there is usually an allen wrench opening to try and rotate the shaft by hand (using an allen wrench). There's a reset button down there as wel l.

I agree with the other poster who said that there is probably something stu ck in there. I have remove rings, spoons, coins, and glass from clients di sposals.

Reply to
John G

I don't need clients to find that stuff, I can do it right here at home. I have kids.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

IOW, buy a new one but take out the old one and turn it upside down etc. etc. etc. before you take the new one out of the box.

Either that, or turn the house upside down and shake it.

Reply to
micky

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

something had fallen into it and I could remove it by hand or work it loose with a wooden dowel. Not budging this time. Drain flows free so I'll wait ask the wise folks here for any ideas, and then remove it tonight.

Thankye fellers!!! Update.... one whack with a hammer to a wooden dowel and that's all it took. Good for another 2000 miles.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 4:15:56 PM UTC-4, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wr ote:

in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

omething had fallen into it and I could remove it by hand or work it loose with a wooden dowel. Not budging this time. Drain flows free so I'll wait ask the wise folks here for any ideas, and then remove it tonight.

and that's all it took. Good for another 2000 miles.

I'm curious:

Did you try the allen wrench from below?

Reply to
DerbyDad03