Garbage disposal replacement

I need to put in a new garbage disposal. I know I will need to turn power off for the kitchen area. Do I also need to turn off the water? Also what kind of silicone will I need when I hook up the new disposal?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No.
Also what kind of silicone will

None. It uses a rubber ring.
On 4 Nisan, 03:10, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

NABER DOSTUM

You need to turn the power off to the garbage disposal. It may or may not be connected to a circuit serving anything else in the kitchen. It may be on it's own dedicated circuit.
There should be no need to turn off water supply unless you fear someone will come along while you are working on it and turn it on.
Silicone? Why do you think you need any?
Follow the directions that come with the unit. They may not be complete (like the electrical part) but do read them, changes are that will answer most all your questions.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Most company's web sites will let you download the instructions so you can review them before you start. Not a difficult job and no silicone needed.
If you replace the adaptor in the bottom of the sink (you don't have to if going back with the same brand) then you'll need some plumbers putty for under the rim of the adaptor.

many disposals just plug into the wall under the sink. just unplug the disposer-no need to turn off power.
do not get a cheap disposer. just one plumbing call can easily pay for the extra cost of a good disposer.
spoken from experience.
I need to put in a new garbage disposal. I know I will need to turn power off for the kitchen area. Do I also need to turn off the water? Also what kind of silicone will I need when I hook up the new disposal?
Hell there's no need to turn off the power anyway. The durn things are on a switch. There's no power to them if the switch is off. duh.

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:01:52 -0500, "S. Barker"

What do you think that switch does, if not turning off the power?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
echo
echo
echo
Do you have a tester? You can buy one at the Dollar Store for a dollar. On your disposal, do you have to crawl under the counter to turn it on? I didn't think so. The power is at the switch on the counter. From there, it either goes to the disposal or not.
PS: It is easier to change a disposal if you unplug it from the receptacle under the sink. I just thought if you were stupid enough not to know the power is set by the countertop switch that you would have trouble trying to pull it out with it still plugged in.
Hope this helps, but I really doubt it.
Steve

Personally after a few experiences, I don't rely on someone wiring these things properly. Turning of a switch SHOULD kill the power to a non-batch load disposal, but if they did not wire the switch properly or if you are working with a batch type, you might be in for a very unwelcome surprise.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
. don't forget...your spouse could happen-by... and turn the switch to ON
[either accidentally...or on purpose]
waterboy
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:07:02 -0700 (PDT), WaterBoy

I just post an Out of Bounds sign.
Similar to CAUTION - WET FLOOR!

Unless it is a batch feed model and has no external switch.