Garbage Disposal Repairable?

Got home last night to find one of the dog's Nylabones jammed in the disposal (don't ask -- I don't know). I managed to turn the disposal (hex key underneath) until the bone popped free. Removed bone, reset the breaker and turned on the disposal.
Horrific racket.
Shut everything off and managed to get the "hammers" spinning freely and tried again.
Horrific racket.
Something is apparently broken inside the disposal, but it runs (horrific racket).
I'm reasonably good with tools. If I can disassemble the thing and find what's broken, are repair parts available (it's a Kenmore if that helps)? OR!!! Does anybody have any other good ideas what might be wrong with this thing.
TIA, Mark

As far as parts, the Sears web site will answer that question. You'll need the 8 trillion character model number that's on the back side of the disposal where only a snake could get into a contorted enough position to see it.
The insides of these machines are pretty tough, so I'd be surprised if something was actually broken. Hardware stores sell something like a dental mirror, but with a larger rectangular mirror. I'd try that and a bright pen light first - you might be able to see quite well. If it's obvious that one of the hammers is shot, there's your answer. Otherwise, it could be just a piece of debris. Was the dog thing totally intact? The hammers are not sharp - no reason not to explore by hand. If you think a piece of the bone might still be in there, find a SAFE way to seal the drain tube - maybe a foam hearing protector. Fill the thing with hot water and let it sit for a while.

They finally shortened them eh?
Mark Sparge wrote:

Are you sure you got it all out? A few weeks back ours was making a real racket. It took a lot of fishing to discover the plastic top from a milk jug had fallen in.
Mark Sparge wrote:

It needs to be repaired/replaced, so remove the unit. Disassembly (in my experience) is unobvious on some models, so contacting repairclinic.com might be the best first step. If the proceedure is within your skill and tool level do an autopsy and order the parts. You may find a bent motor shaft (fatal), bent hammer pivot (maybe repairable), or distorted housing (questionable). With these data in hand decide whether repair is the better option or installing a new unit. If replacement is the choice, check with Consumer Reports on the best models out there; there are some pretty flimsy ones installed in tract homes these days.Good luck.
Joe
Mark Sparge wrote:

I would never waste my time trying to fix one that I could not fix without disassembly.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

If you can disassemble it, good change it will never go back together again. If you cannot find the problem from the top, you'd be as well off putting in a new unit. Most are built by the same couple of companies and things will usually line up easily.
Mark Sparge wrote:

I recently decided to grind up some aquarium stones in mine (actually it was an accident). It was quite easy to remove, disassemble, remove the stones, re-assemble and re-install. It only took about 45 minutes. Once you have the grinding chamber cover off, you may be able to see where your problem is.
BRW