Garbage disposal --- Quick and cheap

Page 2 of 2

I have the same situation. I installed the switch on the wall below the upper cabinet 20 years ago when I installed the first disposal. Sure, it was a PITA at the time, but I've had 20 years of no regrets.

The InSinkErators (ISE) have a rubber baffle that fits in the drain to prevent large objects from going in. I used to have the spoon problem with a Kenmore model but I have never had anything go drain that I didn't want since I installed the ISE over 5 years ago.
The design of the baffle serves 2 purposes: it prevents large objects from entering the drain and it reduces the sound tremendously. The sound reduction feature is even written up in the literature.
The other thing nice about the ISE baffle is that it is removable. The old Kenmore baffle was sandwiched between the sink and drain flange so that when it began to wear out, that's when the spoon problems began. With the removable baffle, it gets much less wear and tear during the rare times I remove it for large pieces of debris and is also easily replaced if it ever wears out. Replacing the worn Kenmore baffle meant dropping the disposal and dismantling the drain, so it never happened.

To each his own, but I'm not talking about "long runs". I just talking about flipping the switch while rinsing the sink with the spray hose.
Anyway, enjoy your new unit. I hope you get many years of satisfaction from it.
On 4/22/2012 10:12 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

We had an insinkerator that was lightly used and it self destructed (the pin that anchors one of the "hammers" sheared off).
I replaced it with a waste king. The waste king has a much simpler and much better design and works really well. The simpler design makes it much quieter. It also has the rubber baffle which makes it difficult for spoons etc to fall in.

How long did it last before it "self destructed". (BTW...how else would you expect a disposal to go bad other than "self destruction"?)
Just like any other brand and device, there are various models from entry level to luxury. There are also the occasional faulty unit.
The model I have (the same model I installed for my parents and parent- in-law's) have been running at least 5 years each. I know that's not a long time, but we've not experienced a single problem in that time.
I don't think InSinkErators would have the reputation they do if they were prone to self destructing, especially with "light use". Maybe you just got a bad unit, who knows.
As far as quiet, the sound proofing baffle used on the Evolution series (and probably some other series) makes them so quiet that I sometimes forget mine is on until I turn the water off. Once the debris is ground up and not sloshing around inside the disposal, the running water is louder than the unit. Based on that, when I installed my parents and parent-in-law's units I used a lighted switch so that they would always know when it was running.