Garbage Disposal Problem

We have a double sink. When we run water down the disposal side dirty water comes up into the other sink. We have plunged both sides. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
patga

You have a clog somewhere past where the sink drains connect together. To plunge properly you need to stop up the other drain. Easier with 2 people so one can keep whatever you put in the other drain down tight.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I have brought in a garden hose with a squeeze handle on it. Have one person hold down the plug on the disposal side. Maybe even fill that sink half full. Put rags around the disposal side to hold the seal on the hose. Fill that half full also. Hit it with bursts of water. Watch underneath because if the pipes are not tight, or they don't penetrate into the collar far enough, they will blow off, and you'll have a mess. Tighten them first WITH YOUR HANDS, NOTHING ELSE, as they are mostly plastic.

Let us know what works for you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Do you have a dishwasher and sink mounted vent pipe attached to the disposal?

Is this a new install? Depending on the install directions, sometimes you have to knock a plug out so things vent and water drains. I learned about this "knock-out" piece after the dishwasher backed up into both sinks. Lucky it was a 15 minute fix..

Reply to
Oren