Garbage disposal problem

My garbage disposal suddenly stopped working. No sound, no movement when I flipped the switch. Is there some sort of fuse or breaker in the disposal unit or something I should look for? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Should be a reset button on the bottom of it....

Reply to
Rick

I located the reset switch. Turns out the first time I looked I thought that was a screw. Anyways the disposal is back on, but when I turned it on, it grinds for about 2 seconds and then the noise dropped to a whistle, as if the motor is weakened and about to die...it does not seem to function as well, is this a jammed condition or something else is wrong?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I have no idea. Bought the house in 1999 and it was already there, so at least six years.

Not sure I want to hire a plumber to fix it when it may be better to just replace it with a new unit. I am pretty handy for the most part, but electrical is not my strong point, do they all have standard fittings if I buy a new unit? There is an electrical cord coming from behind the cabinet wall into the unit, not sure how to detach that and hook it to a new unit.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:52:52 -0400, "miamicuse" graced this newsgroup with:

most units just have the wire running behind a removable plate that has screws for the wire to hook up to. Just find the breaker for the disposal and remove the wiring from the screws. Then remove the disposal and replace with the new one. The new one will have installation instructions. Obviously, all you have to do is reverse the procedure to remove the old one.

About an hour job if you take your time.

Reply to
nospam

Most machines have an auto reverse if it is going to jam. It moves, so I don't think that is the problem. How old is the unit? Could be the motor bearings on the way out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

turned it on,

whistle, as if