Garbage Disposal On The Blink

My garbage disposal seems to have given up the ghost. It just quits after a few seconds of running and I can see a few tiny puffs of smoke coming from it. I can reset it and it'll work for a few more seconds before it dies again. Is this something that can be fixed or is it time for a new one?
Thanks.
-Fleemo
Time for a new one, IMO. Smoke is never a good thing. Unless it's me thats doing the smoking, of course.

You can buy more smoke, but to have it refilled is about the cost of a new unit. Buy new.
Greetings,
a) is there a string of some sort wrapped around the rotating bar? b) did you "dry-run" it? many garbage disposals will overheat if there is not water running through them while they are on
Hope this helps, William
PS: I purchased a new one from Wal*Mart for $25

I purchased these bargain jobs, probably three or four in a sequence. They each lasted about 2 to 4 years due to erosion or corrosion of the soft metal (aluminum?) grinding chamber which led to leakage. Gave up and bought a good GE. Lated about 15 years and irrepairably jammed. Replaced with an Insinkerator with a long warrantee and a stainless grinding chamber. Still like new after 10 years.
So, my experience is that, to some significant extent, this is one area where you get what you pay for.
SJF
It's the smoke that makes it work -- but the smoke has to be kept inside: once the smoke gets out the thing's no good any more.
Perce
On 12/27/04 05:35 pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Just when I thought it was safe to put away my checkbook. :/
Is this a do-it-yourself kind of job for a moderately able handiman? If so, any suggestions on where to turn for a tutorial or instructions?
Greetings,
You can do it. Instructions came in my box. If you have problems understanding them before you start spend the time to look further.
Hope this helps, William

Many thanks for the input here. Here's to a prosperous new year for us all.
-Fleemo
One last comment. If you install the disposal yourself, the hardest thing to do is to holding it up while you try to attach (clamp) it the sink. If you're doing it yourself, one hand is holding the disposal and the other trying to adjust the clamping mechanism---very strenuous and tiring. My final solution was to support the disposal with a small car jack and slowly crank it up to it's mating connection. You just have to be very careful you don't put any pressure on the bottom of the sink. MLD

Thanks for the additional info, MLD. Perhaps I'll wait until the wife is around to lend a hand. Out of curiosity, what's the danger of putting pressure on the bottom of the sink? Will it pop out of position?
-Fleemo

hard to get two heads and four hands under the sink. Yup--too much force and the sink will pop up with a nice PLUNK. Fortunately, in my case, it PLUNKED right back when I lowered the jack a bit. After much frustration trying to lift by hand the jack method was a piece of cake. BTW, put a piece of wood between the jack and disposal to give you a more stable platform. MLD
Hey Art, I'm not sure how old the unit is. I moved into the house 4 years ago, so it's at least that. I did do some research on the Consumer Reports website. Unfortunately, their #3 rated model, the Kenmore 60554, doesn't seem to be available anymore. (Fairly typical, it seems, that CR's recommendations can't actually be bought anywhere.)
Their #8 pick, the Kenmore 6011, is available and is around $65. It's only a 1/2 horsepower model, but we don't do a lot of heavy grinding so perhaps it'll do the trick. MLD, I'll give your jack trick a shot. Thanks for the advice.
-Fleemo
How old is it. Some have long guarantees. If it is beyond the warranty, buy a replacement at Sears. Kenmore gets good ratings. Check it out in Consumer Reports at the library.

was just looking at sears disposals online at http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&verticalFullName=&keyword=garbage+disposal&displayTarget=searchresults
in the product descriptions, less expensive models seem to have ABS plastic grinding chambers and galvanized steel grinding blades while more expensive models have stainless steel chambers & blades