garbage disposal not working

My In-sinkerator was working, then it suddenly stopped. When I turn it on now, I hear a "hum" -- as if it is in fact turned on, but no grinding or anything. I've read some tips, put a plunger handle in there with the power off. It doesn't "seem" like it is clogged, although I know that may not be the case. The "hum" when I turn it on almost makes me believe that it turns on, but maybe the motor is dead? It is about 12 years old.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
jweisler

Something's blocking it from turning. Unplug the unit, stick the hex wrench that came with the unit in the hole at the bottom of the unit and work it back and forth, see if you can free it up. If you don't have the wrench, think it's 1/4 inch hex wrench. If you don't have one in your toolbox, go to the hardware or home store and buy one.

Here's a troubleshooting page for you from the Insinkerator website.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 29 Oct 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Something has jammed it up.

Unplug the disposer from the wall or turn off the breaker. Use a flashlight to look in the top. Remove whatever you can. Use a ¼" hex key to turn it back and forth from the bottom. Once it moves a little, try running it again. You may have to push the reset button on the disposer. Repeat these steps until it works.

The last one of these I worked on worked properly two days before (acording to the client). When I looked in the top, It was rusted solid. She couldn't remember putting anything unusual down it, so it's a mystery what could cause so much rust in just a few days. I replaced it.

To prevent clogs, once a month fill the sink with hot water, put the stopper in the drain in the other sink, turn on the disposer, and remove the stopper above the disposer. The hot water will help to melt fats coating the disposer and pipes. The volume of water will fill the disposer, helping to wash debris on down. The disposer will give the draining water a velocity boost, helping to clear stuff inside the pipes. This trick will sometimes clear a minor clog.

Reply to
Steve

Oops, forgot the link.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Putting the plunger handle in is insufficient - you've got to be able to TURN the turnable stuff inside the disposal.

Fuss with the handle and pressure in various directions until the innards rotate.

If you can't get the guts to move, you can put a hex wrench on the axle from the bottom and wiggle the shaft until it DOES turn.

Shine a light down the gizmo's throat. Do you see anything that might be jamming it (spoon, engagement ring, bone, the missing cat)? If so use someone's smallish hand to reach in and retrieve the item.

It's probably not a good idea to turn on the disposal with the hand (not yours, of course) still inside. It's not as big a deal as you might think if the instrument comes to life while various human appendages are in a vulnerable position - there are no blades inside. Couple of broken fingers. Tops.

Reply to
HeyBub

re: Couple of broken fingers. Tops.

Obviously you never saw Amityville Horror, Vol. 4: The Evil Escapes (1989) or, more recently, Heroes.

FWIW, I was born in Amityville, NY. My wife sometimes refers to me as the original Amityville Horror.

Reply to
DerbyDad03