Garbage disposal frozen

Page 2 of 2

Disposals shouldn't have coffee until they are over 18.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:36:03 -0400, mm wrote:

Unless you're trying to grind you coffee in it.
I ripped the disposal out of my sink and went back to just a drain. They are a PITA IMO..., not to mention a harbinger of stink and germs. I throw my bones and scraps off of my deck and they are gone the next morning.. I really don't want to know what is eating all that stuff...
I wouldn't recommend getting a cheap garbage disposal. One call to a drain plumber can pay for the extra $ on a good stainless steel disposer.
The Insinkerators mentioned are good units and very quiet-I believe Insinkerator makes the Sears disposers and possibly others.
Because the unit I recently put in was so quiet, I put in a new electrical switch with a small light to indicate the unit was on.
All of a sudden today my wife says the garbage disposal just hums when you flip the switch.
I tried to turn it by hand (with the power off of course) and it is locked in place.
Is it shot or is there something I can do?

We have a Sears. It is a good model.Think I paid about $100 five years ago. First time in years that it jammed. This was a replacement for the original disposal about 5 years ago.
I watched that insinkerator film and all I could think of was
"man, I would never put bones or pineapple tops in my disposal"
I guess we are not getting the best use of ours. We rarely put really solid stuff in it like the video shows.
Are we goofy for not doing this?

-- I guess we are not getting the best use of ours. We rarely put really solid -- stuff in it like the video shows. -- -- Are we goofy for not doing this?
We dump solids into the garbage, with maybe a light scrape. The dishes then get a quick rinse - sometimes. The instructions for my dishwasher say that there is no need to rinse soft food from the dishes, so we don't waste a lot of time or water cleaning the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. We'll rinse them a little if they're going to sit for a while, but if they're going to be washed soon, then they don't get rinsed.
Fun With Garbage Disposers:
Break a glass in your sink. Rinse the pieces down then drain. Turn on the disposer. It makes a really cool noise!

Just because you can do something, does not mean it is best to do so. If you put bones down, it should be mixed with softer material so they don't just fly around inside the chamber.
The more stuff you put down, the greater the chance of a sewer line clog. I find is just as easy to put the larger bulk and bones in the trash Clean leaf type stuff goes on the compost pile. Anything with the potential to stink goes down the drain.
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:46:14 +0000, newman wrote:

I've used a broom handle on the impeller blades using the rim of the disposal for leverage to free my stuck disposal.

-- I've used a broom handle on the impeller blades using the rim of the -- disposal for leverage to free my stuck disposal.- Hide quoted text -
I've actually disposed of brooms in my InSinkErator.