Garbage disposal frozen

-- I guess we are not getting the best use of ours. We rarely put really solid

-- stuff in it like the video shows.

--

-- Are we goofy for not doing this?

We dump solids into the garbage, with maybe a light scrape. The dishes then get a quick rinse - sometimes. The instructions for my dishwasher say that there is no need to rinse soft food from the dishes, so we don't waste a lot of time or water cleaning the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. We'll rinse them a little if they're going to sit for a while, but if they're going to be washed soon, then they don't get rinsed.

Fun With Garbage Disposers:

Break a glass in your sink. Rinse the pieces down then drain. Turn on the disposer. It makes a really cool noise!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

-- I've used a broom handle on the impeller blades using the rim of the

-- disposal for leverage to free my stuck disposal.- Hide quoted text

-

I've actually disposed of brooms in my InSinkErator.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hmmm, how could it hum if the breaker was popped?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I remember my folks taking me to a home show over 50 years ago when garbage disposals were just becoming mainstream consumer items and watching some guy demo one on a table top.

The disposal was upright on a stand ith the motor running and the guy was dropping glass marbles into it "dry" while we stood there and watched ground glass streaming from the outlet into a bowl placed next to it on the tabletop.

It was one of those memories that stays with you forever...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Just because you can do something, does not mean it is best to do so. If you put bones down, it should be mixed with softer material so they don't just fly around inside the chamber.

The more stuff you put down, the greater the chance of a sewer line clog. I find is just as easy to put the larger bulk and bones in the trash Clean leaf type stuff goes on the compost pile. Anything with the potential to stink goes down the drain.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is that the new Monica Lewinsky model?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Disposals shouldn't have coffee until they are over 18.

Reply to
mm

Unless you're trying to grind you coffee in it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I ripped the disposal out of my sink and went back to just a drain. They are a PITA IMO..., not to mention a harbinger of stink and germs. I throw my bones and scraps off of my deck and they are gone the next morning.. I really don't want to know what is eating all that stuff...

Reply to
in2-dadark