Garbage Disposal Electrical Problem/Question

Garbage disposer failed and original diagnosis (mine) revealed no power to the top-half of outlet that both the GD and dishwasher plug into; the dishwasher worked fine. So, I replaced the outlet, clipping the joiner-part of the outlet, and still no power to the top-half of the outlet, so I reversed the plugs and the dishwasher was still active, so that ruled out the outlet as the problem. I tried the reset button on the disposal several times in both halves of the outlet and neither worked, so I concluded the problem was the garbage disposer itself, so replaced it. Now, it works, continuously; but the switch does not. So, I presume this means I need to also replace the switch, but is there anything else I should be considering/looking at before proceeding to this step?
Thanks for any suggestions/comments you’d care to make.
Lee
Add pictures here
✖
Are there two sets of Romex wires that feed the outlet?
If there is one set of power feed wire, maybe you ought not have "clipped the joiner part".
On 8/22/2012 12:03 PM, Lee wrote:

top-half of outlet that both the GD and dishwasher plug into; the dishwasher worked fine. So, I replaced the outlet, clipping the joiner-part of the outlet, and still no power to the top-half of the outlet, so I reversed the plugs and the dishwasher was still active, so that ruled out the outlet as the problem. I tried the reset button on the disposal several times in both halves of the outlet and neither worked, so I concluded the problem was the garbage disposer itself, so replaced it. Now, it works, continuously; but the switch does not. So, I presume this means I need to also replace the switch, but is there anything else I should be considering/looking at before proceeding to this step?

sounds like you didn't wire the split outlet properly.
--
Steve Barker
✖

Wait a minute...you had no power at the top half of the outlet, yet the DW worked when you "reversed" the plugs? Care to explain that?
Add pictures here
✖
Lee wrote:

The switch is okay. The problem is in the wiring.
Add pictures here
✖

Basically, the outlet is wired so that one half gets power from a always-on circuit, while the orther half gets power from the switch, which can be either on or off. This is why you need to clip the joiner between the two halves. You should have two wires (hot and neutral)going to each half. From your description, it sounds like the switch may be bad, or the wiring to/from the switch,
Add pictures here
✖

If the switch or wiring to/from the switch is bad, why did the DW work when he "reversed" the plugs?
I'd like to hear from the OP as to what he means by "so I reversed the plugs and the dishwasher was still active."
I'm assuming he plugged the DW into the upper receptacle and it worked. However, he said also said he replaced the receptacle "and still no power to the top-half of the outlet" If that's the case, how did the DW work after he "reversed the plugs"?
Perhaps he tested the receptacle with the switch off, but turned it on before he ran the DW.
That's where the post gets confusing. It's all based on the meaning of "I reversed the plugs".
Add pictures here
✖