garbage disposal doesn't

Well, actually it does, just slowly.

Here's the problem. The dishwasher drains into the disposal. When the dishwasher drains the water rises in the sink unless the disposal is turned on.

Sink drains fine with regular water flow from the tap.

Blades turn but there's not much of a grinding noise.

Is this just a clog or is the disposal shot?

Thanks,

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

Could be either. Since it drains with the machine on, it is probably the disposal. It may be starting to clog. I don't know how to clean them as drain cleaners are not supposed to go into them. At least he old ones, perhaps some of the new liquids would not harm them. If the disposal is on the way out anyway, it would be worth a try.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just used a drain cleaner made and marketed by Ace Hardware (a mild cleaner), which specifically says can be used in garbage disposals.

I would try that first. Pour it in, let it set about 2 hours (longer than the directions say) and then run the disposal (keep face away) and let the water flow through it.

It is worth a try.

Let us know........

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Hi,

Kinda *sounds* like 2 problems....

That certainly sounds like a slow/restricted house drain.

Beater bars worn/missing, cutting ring could also be getting dull. New unit may be needed.

Just a guess, it probably would be better once the slow drain is repaired.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

dull. New

Doesn't ice sharpen the blades? At least that I heard once.

Reply to
Scall5

Hi,

Ice *may* very mildly help to sharpen up the cutting ring by cleaning some of the gookus out of it, but it is a better cleaner for the unit. A little ice and a lemon ( or orange, lime ) slice will help to freshen up a smelly food waste disposal.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks to all who replied. The problem was the grinding plate(s). Purchased a new disposal yesterday a.m. and installed by noon. Snaked the horizontal line but it was clear.

Best,

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD