Garbage Disposal-- Broken?

I hope I didn't totally blow up my garbage disposal.

I was washing dishes and turned on the disposal. I heard that aweful grind which we all know as something in there that doesn't belong. I immediately turned it off. It wouldn't turn on again.

After waiting and finding the red switch, I turned it on again. A low quite humming sound- not the normal sound. Does it sound like I blew up the motor?

Reply to
Senin

It sounds jammed.

Turn off the power, and try to rotate the armature with the hexag> I hope I didn't totally blow up my garbage disposal.

Reply to
Robert Barr

Probably not. It's supposed to stop running before that happens, and the red button is supposed to come out, as it did. The fact that, after you push the red button, it still hums mean the motor is doing something, it's trying, but it's not turning.

Once the red thing trips again, it's as if the power switch is off, but don't rely on that, and turn the switch off.

Is there a hex-shaped hole in the center bottom. Do you have a hex wrench that fits it, especiallly the one that came with the disposal and is bigger than most and has two identical ends with obtuse angles instead of right angles like most allen wrenches? Use that to try to turn the hex shaped hole, back and forth until it frees up.

Once it frees up, do you hear anything rattling around in there?

Did you let something drop into the disposal, or do you think something came from the dishwasher?

If the screen in the bottom of dishwasher is in one piece, and/or if you have an anti-siphon thing on top of your sink, it's less likely something from the dishwahser made it to the disposal, but who knows.

If you are sure there is no hex shaped hole, then a broom handle from the top is what a lot of people use to try to free up the mechanism.

Post back.

Reply to
mm

Another way is to put a socket on a 9-12" extension and ratchet or breaker bar and turn the nut holding the blade assembly to the motor shaft.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Hi, If it is not humming when turned on, thermal switch popped. Feel around at the bottom of motor after it cools off, you'll feel little button popped. Push it to reset. And using hand crank hex kek free it up, then try it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sounds a lot more effective.

I remember using a broom, or watching someone, but I have no idea where. It wasn't here and no other place I've lived has had a disposal. The only place my mother owned that had a disposal had one that made terrible noises, and we never used it. I was too young or too stupid to realize it was broken. The same house had a dishwasher that filled the kitchen with steam. I thought that was normal.

Reply to
mm

Do this in the following order.

  1. Take a flashlight and look through the fingered opening. Use forceps or slender fingers to see if you can find what is in there.

  1. If that doesn't work, take the hex wrench that came with it and go in the cabinet under the bottom and try to work it loose with the wrench. You'll still have to look down from the top to see what's stuck in there.

  2. If and after you remove the problem particle, push the red button on the bottom to make sure it's in.

  1. Run water and turn on the switch.

  2. If it runs, ok. If not, and it hums, there's still something lodged in there, and you have to repeat the steps and remove it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks guys. I used a 1/4" allen wrench. Everything worked like a charm. I guess I didn't blow it up after all. I had a baby spoon stuck in there.

Reply to
Senin

'sound'? Kinda hard to guess from a NG reader. Have you checked if your GD has a key to try and work it free?

tom @

Just Joshin