Garbage bags falling down

I use the empty plastic grocery bags to dump my every day garbage out. I use about one a day. So, it's not a big hassle disposing. A couple months ago my sister bought me a kitchen sized trash basket. She also gave me some large plastic kitchen bags to go with it. I have to admit there was some added convenience. However, I don't like putting the swinging cover on top. So, the bag would keep sliding down every time I put in something too heavy. The bags were made so the tops could be tied together.
When it came time to buying new bags I thought that this was too much aggravation. So, I'm back to using the small grocery bags in the smaller container. I would like to go back to using the larger bags, but don't want the aggravation. Any work-arounds besides using the swinging top lid to solve this problem. I couldn't find any bags that were just a little bit longer. The next size is barrel sized.

in something too heavy. ... I would like to go back to using the larger bags, ... Any work-arounds besides using the swinging top lid to

Why not make/find something that sits on the bottom of your trash container, sufficiently high to keep the bag at the level you want. Perhaps a piece of firewood, or the right size cardboard box, or something like that would do the trick.

months
some
top.
heavy.
want
A big-ass rubber band around the outside is how janitors do it. Keeps them from having to scrub the cans unless the liner gets a hole in it. Whatever local big-box that sells commercial-style janitor supplies probably has them in the same aisle with the bags.
aem sends...
ameijers wrote:

Hi, We use spring clip to keep the bag in place. Tony
Or bungee cord.
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:04:22 GMT, "ameijers"

In the absence of big rubber bands and bungee cords, I have linked several smaller rubber bands together and then hook them together at the end with a paper clip.

Charlie S. wrote:

I don't know the brand name but I bought two cans in Shopko a few years ago. Have lids that seal fairly tight, touch release springs them wide open. Remove top and there are two bails that hold the tops of the trash bags. Very neat and easy to use. I threw out the cans I had with the swinging tops.
Harry K
I do mine the same way (leave lid off). With the right-sized can and correct bags, shouldn't be a problem. You'll want to look at gallon capacity of bag vs the gallon size of can as a rough guide. Bags should be at least the same, better to be slightly larger.
Sometimes, with a fresh bag, the first heavy item that goes in pulls whole bag into can. Grab bag top edge, lift and shake it to get the heavy item settled all the way into bottom of bag/can, then rehang the bag over the can.
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:24:17 GMT, "Charlie S."

This is supposed to be a repair newsgroup. It should demand workman like ways of repairing and fixing stuff.
How about slitting the appropriate length of old garden hose/automotive hose/ armoflex tubing and trapping the trash bag on the rolled edge of the trash can?
It really does work well.

[...]
There are several brands of "tall kitchen" trash bags, but not all are the same "tallness." I have found that Glad Handle-tie bags are tall enough so that they don't slide down.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

WHich is kind of redundant, because you can just screw nobs to the outside of the trashcan, and hook the handles over them.